Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Just learning on how it works..

For example, I have one power outlet on a wall. If I wanted to add another one on the same wall 10 ft' down, would I splice/solder the black/white line, add an extension (3rd line) to the other power outlet like this:

I'm just trying to see how a whole house is wired. Any good diagrams/instructions from the web?

Again, I am not doing any electrical work. I am just learning by myself.

llckll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #2

In other words, adding a new outlet to an existing power line. Would I use pigtail wiring? How does that work?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Get Electrical Wiring Residential (Mullin - get one based on the 2008 NEC). And start reading. It is essentially a text book for electricians and is my bible for planning and executing good work.

If you are really interested in learning about this you need a more directed approach than surfing the web. The idea you have about splicing/soldering would not be ok for anything other than a few specialized situations. There is simply too much information for you to glean the right info by picking and choosing from what you find online.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Wink

llckll (Poster #1, Original Poster) You may be right about the method of splicing that you showed in the lower right corner of the illustration, that it was used in "Knob-and-Tube" wiring. It is also called the "Western Union" splice. It is no longer used today. My father showed me this method of splicing (which he used himself) Some years ago!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #5

What method is used today to tap an existing power line to install a new power receptacle?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Get Electrical Wiring Residential (Mullin - get one based on the 2008 NEC). And start reading. It is essentially a text book for electricians and is my bible for planning and executing good work.

If you are really interested in learning about this you need a more directed approach than surfing the web. The idea you have about splicing/soldering would not be ok for anything other than a few specialized situations. There is simply too much information for you to glean the right info by picking and choosing from what you find online.
IMHO the OP ought to go to a Home Center and pick up one of their books, which are short on Theory (and Code) and more direct. In other words, they "Cut to the Chase". Because at the present level, serious Textbooks won't do any good.!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #7

I'll go to my library and take those books out.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #8

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by llckll View Post
What method is used today to tap an existing power line to install a new power receptacle?
Either the one shown in the illustration on the lower left. (Pigtailing. Meaning connecting the NEW wire to the source and the existing wire). Another, is called DAISY CHAIN???! Connecting each subsequent receptacle to the terminals of the existing one. (Some people look down this method).!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
IMHO the OP ought to go to a Home Center and pick up one of their books, which are short on Theory (and Code) and more direct. In other words, they "Cut to the Chase". Because at the present level, serious Textbooks won't do any good.!
I think yes, and no. The problem I have with Home Center books is that they toss out some diagrams and some encouragement and cultivate the notion that a rank amateur can re-wire their entire house in a weekend. They have lots of breadth but not any depth.

I have an entire shelf full of how-to books and my Mullin is my go-to (it's the most beat up one - with dog-eared pages and stains).
Old 01-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #10

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I think yes, and no. The problem I have with Home Center books is that they toss out some diagrams and some encouragement and cultivate the notion that a rank amateur can re-wire their entire house in a weekend. They have lots of breadth but not any depth.

I have an entire shelf full of how-to books and my Mullin is my go-to (it's the most beat up one - with dog-eared pages and stains).
I look at it from an Electrician's perspective. (Over 30 years, PTL) I started reading Textbooks on Electricity and the practical application of same in High School. That does not mean that a person who never picked up a screwdriver in his life will, after reading the book, turn into a Master Electrician. But ALL DIY'ers are tinkerers. After reading the Book, they'll at least know how to do projects correctly!