Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 147
Share |
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


I was just wondering how 220VAC works. This is like the circuit to an electric range or air conditioner (not 3 phase). I understand that this is essentially two 110 VAC wires. Are these out of phase by 180 degrees or what?
garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 6,781
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


Quote:
Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
I was just wondering how 220VAC works. This is like the circuit to an electric range or air conditioner (not 3 phase). I understand that this is essentially two 110 VAC wires. Are these out of phase by 180 degrees or what?
The two hot wires from the two respective sides of your 120/240 volt service work together as a pure 240 volt power source. Each of those hot wires relative to the neutral is 180 degrees out of phase from the other. If we take a moment in time when the alternating current is at plus 120 relative to neutral for one of the two hot wires, the other will be at minus 120 volts relative to neutral.
__________________
The average homeowner who lost his house in the Oklahoma tornadoes should move for good and not rebuild. Too much complexity watchdogging the contractor. Too much a chance to be defrauded.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-21-2011 at 11:05 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
garya505 (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 147
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
The two hot wires from the two respective sides of your 120/240 volt service work together as a pure 240 volt power source. Each of those hot wires relative to the neutral is 180 degrees out of phase from the other. If we take a moment in time when the alternating current is at plus 120 relative to neutral for one of the two hot wires, the other will be at minus 120 volts relative to neutral.
Ah, that's what I was thinking. The reason for my question is that I noticed there is no neutral on the connection to my AC condenser, just 2 hot wires for power and 1 ground. Since I assumed that the ground is just there for safety, the 2 hot wires would have to be out of phase by 180 degrees for this to work.
garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


The current goes out one hot wire and returns on the other. Back and forth.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
garya505 (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 147
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


I was also curious how the 240 VAC power gets to the house, since power plants make 3-phase. Looks like local transformers convert 7200 VAC single-phase to the two 120 VAC lines, is that right?
garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


Quote:
Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
I was also curious how the 240 VAC power gets to the house, since power plants make 3-phase. Looks like local transformers convert 7200 VAC single-phase to the two 120 VAC lines, is that right?
It depends on how you look at it. The 7200 is stepped down to 240 but since the secondary is center-tapped 120 volts is available. With respect to the center tapped neutral, the two 120 volt sides are 180 out of phase.
BTW, that 7200 is one leg of the three phase power that is distributed by the PoCo. It is 7200 volts to earth ground.

Last edited by a7ecorsair; 09-21-2011 at 11:58 AM.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
garya505 (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 147
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
It depends on how you look at it. The 7200 is stepped down to 240 but since the secondary is center-tapped 120 volts is available. With respect to the center tapped neutral, the two 120 volt sides are 180 out of phase.
BTW, that 7200 is one leg of the three phase power that is distributed by the PoCo. It is 7200 volts to earth ground.
I was thinking about the 7200V. If residential 240 is taken from one leg of the 3-phase grid, how does that balance out. Seems like there would be current flowing in that leg.
garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


There will be current flowing in all the legs but the PoCo has to balance out the distribution network.
My power lines come through an agricultural area and there are many 3 phase drops to support sprinkler systems. Along with that, there are several branches, some just one phase of the power and some two phases, that distribute power to different areas.
It is a Wye system so a neutral is carried along with the power line. This neutral is grounded at every pole and step down transformer.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
garya505 (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 147
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
There will be current flowing in all the legs but the PoCo has to balance out the distribution network.
My power lines come through an agricultural area and there are many 3 phase drops to support sprinkler systems. Along with that, there are several branches, some just one phase of the power and some two phases, that distribute power to different areas.
It is a Wye system so a neutral is carried along with the power line. This neutral is grounded at every pole and step down transformer.
Ah, thanks. I meant to say "more current flowing in that leg".

Do they always take the residential 120/240V from the same leg?
garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


No, they use all the legs. Any leg can feed a step down transformer. The three phase lines for my network dead ends about 8 miles from my neighborhood. There is a single connection to one phase (7200 volts), and also the neutral of course, that travels through the woods down a high line cut to a power pole. At this point is a T junction. One line goes south and one goes north from this point and from these lines, several transformers are connected along the way to support the local residences.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 147
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
No, they use all the legs. Any leg can feed a step down transformer. The three phase lines for my network dead ends about 8 miles from my neighborhood. There is a single connection to one phase (7200 volts), and also the neutral of course, that travels through the woods down a high line cut to a power pole. At this point is a T junction. One line goes south and one goes north from this point and from these lines, several transformers are connected along the way to support the local residences.
Hmmm, so not all 120 VAC everywhere is in phase. Interesting
garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,446
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


Quote:
Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
Hmmm, so not all 120 VAC everywhere is in phase. Interesting
True. There are up to 6 possible phase angles for a 120V leg, I think: The transformer could be fed from any of the three phases plus neutral (wye), or could be fed from any two phases together (delta), giving a total of 6 possible phase angles for the transformer's primary.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 6,208
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


Here is a little diagram that sort of shows how the two 120Vac phases give you 240....ignore the refereces to current flow on the neutral...not correct....it was drawn that way during a discussion with another guy.....

__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


Hummmmm
I thought that is how 240 gave us 120
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 6,208
Default

Just a general question on 220VAC


Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
Hummmmm
I thought that is how 240 gave us 120

Yea, yea....I know....110, 111....120...what ever it takes....

I was in a rush when I did that a couple of years ago....just too lazy to fix it...
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just a General Question Balloon Vs. Platform Construction Evil Scotsman Building & Construction 5 11-10-2010 09:12 PM
General Breaker question fixittech Electrical 7 10-18-2010 02:16 PM
General question about screws/bolts floja General DIY Discussions 7 11-10-2008 08:22 PM
Basement Renovation Question KUIPORNG Remodeling 234 08-26-2008 08:19 AM
hrv question indep HVAC 3 07-17-2008 10:39 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.