Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Just bought a project house-does this look legal to you??!!!

I just bought a house for a project, it was partially through a full house remodel project that the former owner must have run out of money or something and gave up and sold the whole thing as-is. Actually, the work that was done looks like it was all done quite well, I've done my share of this stuff and have seen the good, bad and ugly and this is all quite good! (or else I wouldn't have bought the place!) There's one thing I'm wondering about though, in the basement, they ran romex for several new circuits from the panel (there was a new panel installed by a licensed electrician who pulled the proper permits) but I don't know if they used the electrician to run the romex in my pics, because from what I remember, if you run romex in the basement, it can be exposed if its run through the joists, but if its below the joists it has to be inside of conduit. Is that correct? As you can see in the pics, they ran romex along the ceiling, under the joists and its fully exposed. Isn't this supposed to be run inside of conduit if its exposed like this???
Attached Thumbnails
Just bought a project house-does this look legal to you??!!!-2013-02-05_00-15-20_209.jpg   Just bought a project house-does this look legal to you??!!!-2013-02-05_00-15-28_703.jpg  

BT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Both pictures are legal.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Do you have a picture of the new panel installed?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 16

The Romex cables can be exposed:

1. When fastened to the joists,
2. Running between joists through holes in the joists at least 1-1/4 inches from the bottom edge (and at least 1-1/4 inches from the top endge).
3. When fastened to boards criss crossing the joists.

I do not have handy the rules for where you are allowed to drill holes in joists or in prefabricated trusses. That is part of the International Building Code as opposed to the National Electric Code.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 138

I'd be more concerned with that funky looking plumbing, unsupported line set, and why that sheetrock is all funky looking.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 26

I am not sure how the (condensate) drain line will flow uphill.... In looping the pipe around the wall window opening they made it such that lower loop will always be full of waste water. Also the stub for the condensate line looks lower that the pipe to the far right. Water may spill out the stub befofe it starts flowing down the line. Lastly not clear if there is a vent line after the trap.

Not sure the reason for moving all the white PVC out of the way of the window only to block it with the black poly pipe drooping in front of window. Kind of defeats the original purpose.

This wouldn't pass a plumbing inspection. Looks like a hack job on the drain line plumbing.

I can't tell but are the sheet metal round ducts exhaust vents for a gas fireplace or HVAC supply lines? If gas exhaust and if single wall there is a clearance requirement of I think 6" to any surface. If it is just a supply line then this doesn't apply.

I don't like the droopy refrigeration line sets. Simple enough to fasten them off every few feet.

The romex cables look OK, where stapled to the wood (pic 1). Not sure its ok to use cable tie ties for romex as in the second picture. That might violate spacing rules and create heating issues.

The dangling gray phone/HVAC/Data cable is an eyesore but easy to tack down and neaten up.
curiousB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 8

Have to ask yourself this question if a permit was pulled then it was inspected and signed off right? There you go. The plumbing on the other hand looks shaky.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote