Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Just bought a house... need electical advice...


If you decide to stay with 100a service at least install a 200a panel instead of a 100a panel. At least that way if you do decide to go to 200a you won't need to change another panel

My oil boiler is over 20 years old, still running
My wife's grandmother just had her system replaced - 50 years old

Ours is due to be replaced per our Oil guy ( I agree)

Around here Oil heat is still cheaper then electric
Even before oil prices dipped
Do you have Hydro electric power - less expensive?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Just bought a house... need electical advice...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
If you decide to stay with 100a service at least install a 200a panel instead of a 100a panel. At least that way if you do decide to go to 200a you won't need to change another panel

My oil boiler is over 20 years old, still running
My wife's grandmother just had her system replaced - 50 years old

Ours is due to be replaced per our Oil guy ( I agree)

Around here Oil heat is still cheaper then electric
Even before oil prices dipped
Do you have Hydro electric power - less expensive?
Ok, just spoke to the electrician.
Apparently, it's illegal to install a 200amp panel with a 100amp service here in Quebec, so he won't do it.

I'm not sure what it would cost to heat that house with electric only, so I can't say whether it would be less expensive or not.

To give you an idea...

Hydro electric costs around here are:
$0.054 per kWh for the first 30 kWh per day
$0.0733 per kWh for remaining consumption.

Oil costs for this past winter at that house were approximately $600.

Quote:
Ours is due to be replaced per our Oil guy ( I agree)
Will you be replacing yours with an oil or electric furnace?
pure_energy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
Electrical Contractor
 
kbsparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 3,368
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Just bought a house... need electical advice...


Quote:
Originally Posted by pure_energy1 View Post
Ok, just spoke to the electrician.
Apparently, it's illegal to install a 200amp panel with a 100amp service here in Quebec, so he won't do it....

IF you take a so-called 200 Amp panel, and replace the main breaker with a 100 Amp one, you now have a "100 Amp" panel.

Easy to upgrade to a 200 Amp later by simply replacing the service cable/drop and then swapping out the main back to a 200. You won't have to replace the whole panel next go-around.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Just bought a house... need electical advice...


Quote:
Originally Posted by pure_energy1 View Post
I'm not sure what it would cost to heat that house with electric only, so I can't say whether it would be less expensive or not.

To give you an idea...

Hydro electric costs around here are:
$0.054 per kWh for the first 30 kWh per day
$0.0733 per kWh for remaining consumption.

Oil costs for this past winter at that house were approximately $600.
If a gal. of oil puts out 115,000 BTU, then
115,000 BTU = 34 kwh for electric heat = $2.40
115,000 BTU = 11 kwh for heat pump heat = 80 cents

Virtually all of the elec. energy into your house goes into heating that house.

The clearing time for fuses and the trip curves for breakers are tailored to protect the wiring, assuming the fuses and breakers still meet factory spec's.
The insurance companies may be nervous about other problems correlated with fuses vs. whatever risks the use of breakers present. The fuses themselves may be blameless, and fuses [being simpler] may actually be more reliable.


Last edited by Yoyizit; 04-18-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some advice on buying home termite & water damage. Mr Heshup General DIY Discussions 1 03-29-2009 04:06 PM
Music to the rest of the House Advice gregt848 Home Theater 12 01-25-2009 01:03 PM
Hello. I moved my house... shtoink Introductions 10 06-25-2008 02:40 PM
Old house new problems: I need advice SandyD Building & Construction 3 09-14-2007 11:53 PM
Need advice...rotten floor joists on house I'm buying strngelitlgrrl General DIY Discussions 5 08-01-2005 10:14 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.