Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Share |

Junction box and light switches

I have a junction box with one wire coming into it supplying power to the two wires coming out of it. The wire supplying power to the junction box isn't controlled by a switch. One wire coming out of the junction box is going to power hard wired smoke detectors, which will always need to be on. The other wire coming out of the junction box is going to run to a ceiling fan. To the ceiling fan box I will also have two 12/3 wires going into the ceiling fan box. Each of the 12/3 wires will be connected to it's own switch on the opposite side of the room.

My question is, In this configuration will the light switches turn the smoke detectors on/off?

travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Not if you wire it right. If I'm reading this right, in the first junction box you mention, just wirenut all the hots together, all the neutrals together, and all the grounds together. It's only in the ceiling box that the switches come in to play.

Edit for clarity:
Wired this way, the constant power coming into the first junction box will be split, with constant power going to the smoke detectors, and also to the ceiling fan box. Are you going to be using a three-way switch on each side of the room to control the fan?

Last edited by McSteve; 01-18-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Clarity...
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #3

For three way switches it is prefereable to run the 3 wire cable nonstop between the switches. It may pass by the outside of the light or fan box if that is the most convenient route. Then run a 2 wire cable back to the light box or fan box as needed. To control light and fan separately using 3 way switches, two 3 wire runs between the switches are needed.

When the 3 wire cabling goes into the fan box and connections are made there, you have to account for the extra wire ends entering the box which in turn may need a bigger box than you might otherwise have planned.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #4

McSteve,

Your edit for clarity is spot on. One wire coming out of the junction box to the smoke detectors. One wire coming out of the junction box to the ceiling fan. Then I will have two 12/3 wires going into the ceiling fan box, so I can hookup two 3-way switches.
travesty is offline   Reply With Quote