Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #1

Share |

Junction box feeding power to garage from house

I have a junction box taking power from two sources in the house and relaying it to two sources in the garage.

There are 2 black wires and two white wires and one pink wirecoming from inside the house.

There is one black, one blue, and one white and one pink coming from the garage.

I have the copper wire from the house tied to the green wire from the garage, and grounded to a screw on the box.

I have all white wires tied together.

I have a black from the house tied to a black from the garage, and a black from the house tied to the blue from the garage.

The two pink wires are tied together.

One switch in the house controls the porch light, and works. The other switch inside controls the garage exterior lights, and doesn't work. There is also a switch inside the garage that controls the garage lights that doesn't work, they won't turn on at all. The garage door and work light work.

I need to find out how to get the switches that control the exterior lights on the garage to work. Any help offered is greatly appreciated!!!

gmbojanowski23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #2

You may not arbitrarily tie together white neutral wires coming from different sources.

You need to step back and evaluate things before proceeding.

You need to find out what each wire comes from or goes to, before trying to connect things up.

You need to find out which wire (if any) from the house circuits is hot all the time and which wire(s) come from the house switches. You need to find out which wires come from t he garage switch(es) and which go directly to lights or receptacles. Tell us.

With only one white wire going out to the garage all of the lights and receptacles out there must be on the same branch circuit of your house breaker panel.

Label the wires before taking any apart so you can at least put them back together the way they were to start with.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-02-2012 at 09:10 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #3

Thank you,

I know which black wire is hot all the time, so I am assuming the other black wire coming from the house is the one that comes from the switches.

I know for a fact all of the garage lights are connected to the same branch circuit.

How do I find out where the white wires are coming from (the ones coming from inside the house)?

And what do the pink wires do?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #4

Take the white wire that accompanies the always-live black wire (same cable or same hole in back) and connect that to the white wire going to the garage.

Tape over the other white wire for now (you may need to untape it and use it soon).

You will need to figure out where the other wires including the pink ones go, before proceeding.

You may need to open up the switch boxes and do some continuity tests (with an ohmmeter with the power off, and a long single conductor wire to reach the other end of a wire being tested).
Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #5

The pink ones go to the both switches that control the exterior garage lights (one switch in house, one in garage).

The other white wire goes to the switch in the house with the pink wire.

Tags
garage, junction box, pink wires, switches