Junction Box In Cabinet - How To Mount? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2009, 02:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Junction box in cabinet - how to mount?

Found some info using the search, but not finding the answer to my specific question...

Putting in kitchen cabinet, and a receptacle above the cabinet/countertop. Using where the existing wire ended, necessitating a junction box. Junction box obviously needs to be accessible.

So what is the best way to mount this j-box? I assume mounting to the cabinet itself is incorrect.

Should I simply mount the box to the wall and cut an appropriately sized access hole in the back of the cabinet, or mount the box to the wall and make up the difference beween wall and cabinet back with an extension ring? Or is either of those two solutions appropriate?

Advertisement

j. pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

question is kind of confusing. are you trying to put a receptacle inside the cabinet or mount it on the outside of the cabinet underneath above the counter space?

Advertisement

GetYourShineBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

sorry -

would like to put a new receptacle above the countertop. There is an existing wiring run to behind where the cabinet will be mounted (that originally ran to an old and since removed wall-mount heater)

Since this wiring run is in good condition and is not easily removed, I'd like to simply extend this wiring to the new receptacle, by making attaching new wires inside a junction box with a blank plate located at the end of the current wire run.

Since this cabinet is to be a permanent installation, I need to make this junction box accessible; it is this junction box that will be located in the cabinet that I'm curious about the mounting of; I'm fine with the mounting of the new junction box for the outlet.

I'm just wondering if there is a preference for mounting the junction box in the cabinet for extending the wiring, whether an access hole in the back of the cabinet or an extension ring to make the blank plate of the junction box flush with the cabinet is preferred. There will be no outlet in this junction box.
j. pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,044

Go ahead with the (usually plastic) extension ring so the junction box cover can fit right on the back of the cabinet. You may need to use two rings to fill the space between the cabinet back and the junction box rim.

Actually it's your preference whether to put the box cover on the wall itself and just have a hole in the back of the cabinet.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

Like Allan said, they make special extension rings just for this purpose. They are very common. Just ask at the supply house. They have them at the box stores, but the attendant will most likely have no idea what you are talking about.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote