Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #1

Share |

Junction box before outlet

Hello,

Got a quick question regarding new wiring. I have an old house built in the early 40's and has old 2 wire no ground and am going to replace the the kitchen wiring with 12/2. There are only 4 outlets on this circuit and was wondering when installing the new wire can I run the wire to a junction box and then to the outlet? The original has the wiring chained from outlet to outlet having two set of wires in the wall one to and from the outlet. Would having a junction box instead be a problem so there is one wire leading to the outlet? Thanks again

jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
the Musigician

hi jeeper, welcome to the forum.

what size wire feeds the junction box now?

DM

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #3

There are no junction boxes yet. I have the old nasty wire running from the breaker box to one outlet to another. I was was going to replace the old wire and run new 12/2 to the first outlet location with a junction box and then to the second location with a junction box and then from the junctions boxes have one wire to the outlet/receptacle. I gues I am just trying to make it easier so I only have to fish one new wire through the wall instead of 2. This is a main floor and the junctions would be in the joists in the basement. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #4

I'll probably just run the wire to each outlet just in case I decide to wall in the ceiling in the basement. That way I remain in code and don't have any issues with covered boxes. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #5

You can use as many junction boxes as you need. You can not bury them inside a wall or ceiling. They must remain accessible with cover.

Kitchens have some very specific requirements for receptacles on the counter area. Make sure you are aware of them before you begin. Nothing else can be on those circutis. They must be GFCI.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #6

Thanks For the info. That is the main reason that I am replacing this circuit. So that I can isolate these outlets and add GFCI. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
I'll probably just run the wire to each outlet just in case I decide to wall in the ceiling in the basement. That way I remain in code and don't have any issues with covered boxes. Thanks for the reply.
Hi Jeeper, I get whatyou are saying, It would be easier to fish one wire down from attic or up from an unfinished basement. Only thing you run into is that unless you install a GFCI circuit breaker in the panel- to cover all recepatcles- you would need a GFCI receptacle at each kitchen recpetacle. My .02

unclduey is offline   Reply With Quote