Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

jpmcd99

I have a low voltage outdoor lighting system, about 4 yrs old. Without apparent reason, one transformer (Transformer A) on one gfi (gfi A) started tripping the gfi A. No other device ( a different transformer --- connected via ext cord, an electric drill, portable AC unit,) trips gfi A.

The landscaping company came out and checked all of the low volt wiring, transformer and the fixtures with an amp clamp meter and said all is fine. Yet gfi A continues to trip. It typically takes a few minutes but once the tripping occurs, resets trip immediately. Running an extension cord and connecting this low volt transformer A to a different gfi/circuit 'solved' the problem. Landscaping company told me to replace the gfi and/or the circuit breaker.

I then had an electrician come out to replace A gfi but the new gfi (A2) is also tripped by Transformer A trips it , too. Skeptically, the electrician replaced the circuit breaker but no change--Transformer A still trips gfi A2.

So, having spent $175 and no solution, I suggested to Landscaping company that a ground fault is occuring after transformer has been running and heats up. They of ocurse assured me that I am an idiot (in not so many words.)

Should I call another electrician? Should I change the transformer (it out of warranty) OR are we all misssing something else?

jpmcd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #2

jpmcd99

Ground faults commonly occur in landscape light transformers.

@ 4 years old, it's out of warranty.

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #3

jpmcd99

Thanks for the quick response. That's good to know about the transformer ground faults. Have you heard of other cases where when plugged into one gfi , it trips but not when plugged into other gfis?
jpmcd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 28

jpmcd99

Maybe the other GFCI is defective. If you plug anything else into GFCIa and NOT the transformer does it trip? If not then that is a pretty good indication of a transformer issue.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
low volt and gfi