Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #1

Share |

Joining romex and conduit

We just bught a house and are remodling. I am removing 1/4" plywood panel and putting up drywall. I have gotten into the project and realised that we have an fpe stablok breaker panel acting as a subpanel. The system is wired in grounded emt conduit without seprate ground wiring in the conduit or ground bar at the subpanel. I tested the outlets with a test light and they appear to be grounded. Eventualy of course, I want to have someone swap this fpe panel out. For now I have the walls out. I want to put plastic boxes in and run romex wire.
What I wanted to know is there a way to ground the romex to the conduit at a junction box. Then later go from the junction box to the subpanel.
My second option may be to shim behind the current boxes or replace them to match the thickness of the drywall and not worry about it, but The outlets are sticking about a half inch out of the boxes with termanals very near those metal coverplates. and there is no ground wire conected. So I don't know how comfortable I'm going to be with this option.
Attached are pics. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Restyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #2

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Last edited by Restyle; 11-08-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Restyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

The flat rings you have can be replaced with raisded plaster rings. If you are using 1/2" drywall get 5/8" plaster rings.

If the conduit is continous it is your ground.