Jenn-air Cooktop Installation - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

jenn-air cooktop installation

Question: from our wall we have a large plastic wire, in that wire is a copper wire, a red wire, a white wire, a black wire. This was originally hooked up to a stove top/oven combo.....We now have a jenn-air cook top model c202-c....we would like to hook it up . The jenair has a white cloth wire and white plastic wire together,,a light and dark blue plastic +cloth light blue wires together,,,,1 light and dark green plastic wires together.......and a copper ground location......we are hoping for some advice on the installation ..thank you shayne

Advertisement

Last edited by shayne; 12-09-2008 at 04:26 PM.
shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Power to the fan can be "Unplugged" without doing any internal wiring changes. You will see the plug where it exits out of the fan motor.

Advertisement

napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by napper View Post
Power to the fan can be "Unplugged" without doing any internal wiring changes. You will see the plug where it exits out of the fan motor.

Thanks Napper, have anymore advice on which wires from the large wall wire hook up to which wires on the jenn-air?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
Thanks Napper, have anymore advice on which wires from the large wall wire hook up to which wires on the jenn-air?
Are you sure you up to doing this?

You don't want to have a bad connection and end up with someone getting a shock.

That said, if you understand what you up against, a couple photos of your setup would give us a much more clear idea of what your working with.

Your sure you have the power off correct?
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Are you sure you up to doing this?

You don't want to have a bad connection and end up with someone getting a shock.

That said, if you understand what you up against, a couple photos of your setup would give us a much more clear idea of what your working with.

Your sure you have the power off correct?
Jamie

Thanks ,I understand the concern. I am writing this for my husband, I made it clear what the wires were so there would not be a missunderstanding. The power is definately off....do you have any suggestion were I could find out the meaning of these colored wires and which one goes with each other? Its not an unusual set up, its a cord which used to be hooked up to our stove, now we want to hook it up to our jenn-air cook top. For someone who has ever connected a jenn-air cook top this would be farely common I would think, maybe I'm wrong. We are not completely clueless....we just wanted an explanation about the wire colors.....I appriciate your time
Old 12-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
Thanks ,I understand the concern. I am writing this for my husband, I made it clear what the wires were so there would not be a missunderstanding. The power is definately off....do you have any suggestion were I could find out the meaning of these colored wires and which one goes with each other? Its not an unusual set up, its a cord which used to be hooked up to our stove, now we want to hook it up to our jenn-air cook top. For someone who has ever connected a jenn-air cook top this would be farely common I would think, maybe I'm wrong. We are not completely clueless....we just wanted an explanation about the wire colors.....I appriciate your time

I have been doing some searching, I found this message posted by a moderator on the bobvila site:

"I've seen Jenn-Air electricwith as many as 15 separate wires to connect.

It seems like at least a couple of times a year my previous employer would come across people which have tried joining all the red wires together and all the black wires together to connect to the main. In the cases were our company had to get involved, severe damage to components of the appliance was done by such a connection."

I know that doesn't help much, other than knowing it is important to get it wired correctly the first time.

I'll let you know if I can turn up anything else that may be helpful.

Jamie

Advertisement

Last edited by jamiedolan; 12-09-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: fix weird html from copy and past
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote