Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Jacuzzi tub won't work - has power

My plumber installed a Jacuzzi Elara tub with lights and air. The electrician wired the motor for 110 and the lights on another 110 circuit. The first time we flipped the breaker, we heard the motor hum for a couple of seconds then it quit. The lights have never worked.

My electrician then plugged it into a 220 then back into a 110.

Has this burned up the motor? Is there a trip switch somewhere? I've turned the breakers off and back on again but nothing. I've plugged a drill into the 110 outlet and it has power so the lights should be working.

I HOPE MY HOUSE DOESN'T BURN DOWN.

kntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Might want to have it serviced by a factory authorized repair person.

And have another electrician connect it to the proper power required (per installation instructions) prior to calling for service.

I would get good documentation of how it was wired, and what was done to correct the problem. And take plenty of pictures.

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

What model ?
Is this like a bathtub size, most are 120v
How could he plug it into 240v & then back into a 120v outlet ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #4

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Dh said he went out to the breaker box and switched wires around to make it a 110. This is a renovation/new construction.

It's an Elara and should be plugged into a 220 for the motor and 110 for the lights. It's a bathtub style, 6' tub salon/spa.

I have a repair man scheduled to come out Monday but I have to get the electrician back out there before Monday and that's like an Act of Congress.

I'm scared to death our tub is ruined and worried about my house. The guy has had a lot of problems getting/keeping things working. He rewired the entire house.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kntry View Post
The first time we flipped the breaker, we heard the motor hum for a couple of seconds then it quit. The lights have never worked.
Quit because a breaker failed or because a flaky wirenut connection opened up?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #6

I don't know. It hummed for a few seconds and just stopped on it's own.

Can plugging a 220 into a 110 blow the motor?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,110

Quote:
Originally Posted by kntry View Post

Can plugging a 220 into a 110 blow the motor?
Plugging in. No.
Turning on and running. Yes.

I hate to scare you but your comments in this thread piss me off. It's hacks like this that make the rest of us look bad. The jerk you hired was NOT an electrician. He was a hack impostor.

Was he low bidder?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

IF all it did was hum for a few seconds and then quit, chances are it ain't completely fried ... yet.

Unless the smoke got out (all motors run on smoke you know ...) it's probably a tripped reset button on the motor itself.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #9

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
IF all it did was hum for a few seconds and then quit, chances are it ain't completely fried ... yet.

Unless the smoke got out (all motors run on smoke you know ...) it's probably a tripped reset button on the motor itself.
No. They run on vibration and heat! Don't you feel the electrical motors (at least most of them) vibrate and they get hot! But, seriously! If this so called electrician rewired the house, I'd be worried about the parts that work more than about those that don't work. The first thing anyone claiming to be an electrician would do is look at the paperwork or nameplate to establish the operating voltage and current draw.!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

"The first thing anyone claiming to be an electrician would do is look at the paperwork or nameplate to establish the operating voltage and current draw.!" My first thoughts, exactly, when I read the original post! I'm also hoping it's an internal overload on the motor, and not something worse. Good Luck "kntry", David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

you might want to find a qualified electician to go thru the work this fella did just to put an eye on it for safety and correctness
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
Master Electrician

first of all this guy is no electrician by any stretch of the imagination ok. he's a hack obviously, that being said. it don't sound like the motor is burned up. but he didn't wire it properly and probably overloaded it and tripped the thermal overload on the motor. there's a over load button on the body of the motor that pops out when in the tripped position. see picture below shows the thermal button on a motor. should be a similar one on your tub motor. and yeah i would definitely get a reputable electrician to check this guys work for sure. good luck

richgriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

I do not know what your so called electrician done the connections there.

For myself I will ask the owner for the cutsheet {installment sheet } to get the specs for what voltage it require and the amp it need to be.

However some motor I know do have dual voltage setting some are wired for 120 and some are wired for 240 volts and some are switchable it mean it can change voltage by changing the connection in the motor junction box.

I just hope that so called " hack electrician " did use the proper 240 volt receptale senice you mention 240 volt there if not that is super serious issue if that the case you will have to get a real qualifed electrician to come out and veirfy the connections.

By the way the Jacuzzi tub do required RCD { GFCI } reguardless of voltage.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
Chicago, IL

You might want to check and see if these is a GFCI at BOTH the breaker and the outlet into which the tub is plugged - I see this from time to time, and if so the breaker may appear to be providing power, but the GFCI may need to be reset.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #15

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check the motor tomorrow for a reset switch.

No, he wasn't the lowest bidder. He "was" a friend. Yeah, I know now.

How do you go behind an electrician and check to see if everything is safe since the wires are in the walls? I'm going to be there when the inspector comes to make sure he knows about all the screw ups. The tub is just one of them.

We've used this guy before and he was always good but never for an entire house wiring.

I've checked the GFCI switch and it's working. I've plugged a drill into the outlet and it has power.

I agree 100%, he should have checked everything out. He also didn't check my 4' professional range and wired it for 110. He chaged us an extra $400 to wire it for 220. He'll be waiting a while for that $400. About as long as we've waited for him to do the work.

I'm not your "ordinary" woman. LOL I love to do construction. DH and I built the house we live in and I've renovated several houses after Katrina. I'm so used to doing my own work, I just "assume" that people are going to do their job correctly. Electricity is the only thing I don't know anything about. Well, except that 110 and 220 plugs don't look the same.