Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #1

Share |

Issues hooking up new light fixture

Hi all,

My old fixture which (light and fan) was taken out and I replaced it with a new one. The wiring for the new fixture for some reason doesn't indicate positive or negative. It's the clear coated cabling and wiring is silver, both are identical. I've seen this type of cabling before, but usually one of them has a white solid line on it to indicate neg or positivie, but the wiring for this fixture is exactly 100% identical, so I have no way of knowing.

Anyway, I hooked up the ground, and the positive and negative wires (black and red) from the junction box. Lights didn't turn on. So I swapped the wires around b/c of the above issue I explained, and still it didn't work.

So I rewired the old fixture and it worked. I did a bit of troubleshooting and basically this is what I came up with. The junction box has red, white and black wires. I tried hooking up the new fixture with just the red and black wires and left the white ones alone. When I hook up the red and black wires to the old fixture, it doesn't work. When I hook up the red, black and white wires, the fixture works perfectly. So it looks like the white wire has to be hooked up, but I don't have a third wire for the new fixture. I only have 2 wires and the ground cable.

So instead of screwing around, i'm looking for suggestions on how I should hook this up to get it working?

Thanks

ddzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Welcome to the Forum
Quote:
.....When I hook up the red, black and white wires, the fixture works perfectly. ......
that's three wires, you inferred that the the new fixture had two wires when you said 'both'. Which is it?

PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #3

Hi, thanks

The old fixture had 3 wires all hooked up (white, red and black).

My new fixture which I'm trying to get working, only has 2 wires and the ground cable.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #4

Well, first off, the new fixture is garbage - and quite likely isn't even legal. Neutral has to be marked somehow.

That said...

WHITE is neutral. Connect one of the fixture wires to that. Figure out, by whatever means (continuity tester, visual inspection, divine intervention, who cares, just figure it out) which wire goes to the outer shell. That's neutral, and that's the wire you connect to white.

The other wire is going to be either black or red, I can't predict which one. On the old fixture, one of them went to the fan while the other went to the light. Problem is, there's no rule to specifically state which is which, so it's really up to the guy who wired it. Try black, and if the switch doesn't work try red.
emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

if it has a clear two wire cable, there should be some indication on the neutral. It is sometimes a rib running down the side of the cable and often overlooked.

Sometimes the neutral is silver colored wire while the hot is copper colored.

Is the new fixture a fan/ light combo or just one or the other?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #6

Original fan and light had a black for fan or light and the red for whichever the black wasn't connected to. The white went to a common neutral for both fan and light.
Does new fixture have a fan and a light? If so, do it the same way as the old one. Otherwise, I'd select either the black or the red to feed the black on your new fixture (whichever switch you want to operate the fixture), wire nut the unused red or black, and connect the white to white, and ground it as normal.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #7

Hi all,

My new fixture is just a 4 light mini chandelier type, no fan.

I took a look at the wiring again and they were 100% identical. So I hooked up the black and white - light turned on. I swapped the wires around and the light still turned on...problem is, switch didn't work to turn the light off.

So I hooked up the white and red and the light turned on and the switch works perfectly.

Thanks everyone