Isolated Electrical Service For Kitchen? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Isolated electrical service for kitchen?

Hi all;

My wife and I are doing a DIY kitchen remodel. Would it be possible/practical to split the electric service that comes into our house into two branches: Kitchen, and everything else?

I'd like to have a completely separate breaker box for the kitchen.

Bad idea?

Thanks;
Artie

Advertisement

Artie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You certainly can do that, assuming you have a little room in your existing panel, and provided your service is adequate for the loads. You really wouldn't be "splitting the service" as much as tapping into the existing service at the panel to accomodate a little expansion room and/or convenience. It would involve running a sub panel fed from a breaker in the main panel. The sub panel would be located away from the main panel in most cases. Your kitchen circuits would originate from the sub panel.

Why are you wanting to do this, out of curiosity?

It can be complicated, and is super dangerous if not done correctly.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply KC.

Basically, we're going slowly, (and carefully), on the kitchen remodel. Part of the remodel involves swapping the present position of the rangetop and double-oven. I'd like to be able to have the entire kitchen absolutely "off" as we shuffle wiring around, while keeping the rest of the house active.

I understand the safety factor. I've spent the last 40 years of my life in electronics, and have some experience with installing "disco" sound and lighting systems in commercial apps. The "lighting" was done under the watchful eye of a bonafide electrician.

I know the basics, but don't know what I don't know . . . if you know what I mean.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

You'll be hard pressed to do this completely. There are ALWAYS cables and wires running all around. There is NO WAY to know that every wire in the vicinity of the kitchen is dead, other than killing the main.

I think you are over-trying to make things safe by making it easy. This is NOT easy.
Get a good tester and check EVERY wire before you do anything with it, and don't waste your time/money trying to separate the kitchen.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #5

Yeah, thats probably sound advice. I do, however, want to replace the older wiring that connects both the rangetop and oven. Both use dual 30 amp breakers. (240 volt, I believe.) What size/type of wiring should I use for these two power-hungry appliances?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,008

"Older wiring" How old is it and what does it look like. It may be just fine as is?
You will need to know the current (amp) rating of both the cook top and range. Then you can size your breaker and wire. The existing cable should be marked on the sheathing. For the 30 amp breakers you should have # 10 wire.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #7

The house was built in the mid-60's. The wire doesn't appear to say anything on it, but here's what it looks like:

It appears to have a silvery-paint-ish coating on it thats wearing off. Doesn't look like a great job to me, so thats why I want to replace it.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,506

If that cable has four wires there is nothing wrong with it other than how it is routed through the knotch.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

That type of cable contains three insulated conductors, but no ground. If you are remodeling and changing anything about these circuits, you must go ahead and replace these with grounded cable. Use the specs for the new equipment you are getting to size the circuits, not the existing equipment. A new double oven may require a 40A circuit, as well might the cooktop.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #10

Thanks HH. I've got so much on my mind with this remodel, that it didn't even occur to me that the new appliances would detail what type and size of connection they would require.

Advertisement