Irrigation Timer - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Irrigation Timer

Upgrading my sprinkler system. The timer is originally located in a bedroom, valve control wired run through crawlspace to valves outside. This is how it was installed.

I would like to put my new weatherproof timer outside on the fence post near the system, so I don't have to run into the bedroom each time to turn the sprinklers on for checkups.

Is their any problem with using 16/2 low voltage direct burial cable, to extend power from the 24v adapter in the room, about 50ft, to the timer outside? I would think this is O.K since the small multicore cable to control the valves are 18/7 or 20/7. I wanted a heavier gauge because of the distance.

I saw this done once in a park, they ran the wire 300ft from the office, where the transformer was, and had the timer on a wooden post for the system, in the middle of the field. Been working for 6 years now. I don't remember the wire they used though.

FYI: Their is no outdoor power outlet outside near the timer, except on the other side of the house, and I had no plans of installing one anytime soon just for a timer.

Advertisement

Last edited by seansy59; 10-28-2012 at 03:02 PM.
seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,376

Irrigation Timer

Since you are running wire from the bedroom recep., why not run 14-2 or 12-2 UF and install a recep. on the post?
If you still want to run the low voltage, I would use 14-2 UF.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Irrigation Timer

It might work as you describe but that power supply is not designed to work at that distance. I would do as previously suggested and bring your power out to where the timer will be installed. You have to dig the trench anyway so might as well run the line voltage out there. Depending on your sprinkler timer it may have a cord and plug or be direct wired into the cabinet. Use a weatherproof sprinkler timer cabinet.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller , electric , sprinkler , timer