Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Inverter power

I have a Black and Decker 750 watt inverter that connects to the car battery thru clamps. It says it will power up to 6.52 amps. I have used it to power mainly lights (household and a 500 watt halogen work light) and pedestal fans when our power has gone out.

I am wanting to use it to power a submersible utility pump to pump standing water out of a low lying portion of our yard that's been standing for several weeks. It is far enough away from an outlet that it would take a 100' ft + ext. cord to use household current. It is right next to a part of our drive so using the car and inverter would work well. The pump is a Wayne 1/4 or 1/5 hp (not sure which) submersible utility pump. The specs are 120v, 60hz, 6.2 amps. Would it be possible to use my inverter or would I be pushing the inverter and car battery too much? I don't want to burn the inverter up b/c it really does help in power outages. Thanks in advance.

Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,020

Inverter power

I highly doubt it's going to work.
The start up amp's is going to be the issue.
What harms the water doing?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Inverter power

It will probably draw more current starting then your inverter can deliver.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #4

Inverter power

I was wondering about the start up current. I guess I'll wait til my 100ft ext. cord is freed up (another week or so).

Joe, the standing water is not doing much harm, I guess. It has just become a mud hole that extends into our gravel drive when it rains b/c of the clay soil. It's not supposed to rain for a week so I was hoping to dry it out. Plus it is close to the leach field line for the septic, so I was also going to make sure the standing water was just from rain and poor draining soil, not seeping from the ground because of bad lines. I have assumed it was just standing rainwater since it has never smelled. I'll just wait for my ext. cord to be freed up to verify. I definitely don't want to damage my inverter. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 532

Inverter power

6.2 amps at 120 volt is 744 watts - and that's just running.

The other problem, it's likely not a true sine wave inverter. It generates a square wave and odds are the pump motor will not run very well on it.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Inverter power

Have you looked into renting or borrowing a gas powered pump or generator? If outages are much of a problem in your area, perhaps purchasing a generator would be more useful in the long run.

Also be careful of where the water runs after you pump it. You don't want it to run onto the neighbour's. And depending on your local laws, you may not be able to pump it into a nearby water body.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #7

Inverter power

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan
6.2 amps at 120 volt is 744 watts - and that's just running.

The other problem, it's likely not a true sine wave inverter. It generates a square wave and odds are the pump motor will not run very well on it.
AandP, how did you come up with the 744 watts? I'm assuming there is an equation that I could use. Do you have a link to a website with that info? Thanks.

And your right, it isn't true sine wave, it is a modified sine wave. Didn't think about a pump not working right.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 532

Inverter power

Power (watts) = I (current) * E (volts)

744 = 6.2 * 120
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #9

Inverter power

Dave, I wasn't considering renting anything because it is not THAT big of deal. It can wait. I just had a little time off and there wasn't supposed to be any rain for a while. I am planning on getting a generator this coming year. I have been wanting one, just couldn't afford it. But hopefully 2014 will allow me to get one. We have 2.5 acres so I was just going to pump to another part of the property. The only neighboring property is an ag field that seems to have been neglected since they harvested a few months ago. They haven't even finished cutting the dead stalks down yet. Not that I would intentionally pump on there property, just don 't think it would be a big deal if some got over there. We're talking probably a few gals at most.

AandP, thanks!
Old 12-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,020

Inverter power

I had my crawl space flood after a hurricane and there was not going to be power for at least 10 days.
I used a 12 volt bilge pump.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,144

Inverter power

Highly doubtful that this invertor will run that pump !
The start up surge will shut it down real quick !
The protection circuits are very quick.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,216

Inverter power

A 2 stroke, 1000 watt genset will set you back around $180 (1000w Peak, 850w Rated continious). A C.A.R.B. approved one around $190 (1000w Peak. 800w Rated). http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...ts=20&sortBy=2 Around $209.00 at Advance (1000w Peak, 850w Rated) http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...erm=generators
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,306

Inverter power

Before we toss in the towel.....

That 6.2 amp spec is going to be full load.....i.e., maximum head & flow.

I'm willing to bet that if the OP starts the pump up while out of water and then drops it in the water...it will be just fine.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Inverter power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Before we toss in the towel.....

That 6.2 amp spec is going to be full load.....i.e., maximum head & flow.

I'm willing to bet that if the OP starts the pump up while out of water and then drops it in the water...it will be just fine.
Stating load will still be higher then 6.2 amps. All non VFD motors draw locked rotor amp when they start.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,306

Inverter power

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Stating load will still be higher then 6.2 amps. All non VFD motors draw locked rotor amp when they start.
True....but the inverter will go into current limit...the voltage will drop....but as long as the inverter does not shut down....the motor will start up....slower...but will start....and once going, should work just fine.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote