Interrupting Power To Slow Down A Motor - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Interrupting power to slow down a motor

Here is a project for Halloween, we are building a mini golf course for a party and I wasn't to use a small 20" Box Fan as a windmill, but obviously even the slowest speed is still too fast to put a ball through it. Any ideas?

I was thinking about buying a dimmer switch and splicing it into the box fans cord. Since it is a variable speed fan (3 modes) the motor should be able to take the reduction in power. Or could this be a fire hazard?

Thanks People!

Advertisement

stevobyrnzie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You will burn out the fan and could start a fire.

What most people don't know is that dimmers are not rheostats that cut the voltage. They just turn the power on/off at slower and slower levels to get the dimmer lighting.

Motors don't like this.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

Dimmers are rheostats and do control voltage. This is one reason dimmers and CFL's do not mix.

Note: OP: If you can find the two wires connected to the slowest speed, try putting a dimmer in series with them. Caution: This could cause the motor to overheat and fry the motor as Marvin stated above.
I doubt you can get it slow enough for the application without ruining the fan.

Last edited by J. V.; 10-28-2008 at 02:36 PM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Dimmers are rheostats and do control voltage. This is one reason dimmers and CFL's do not mix.
I don't have any dimmers that cut the voltage. They are all 120 at any dim setting. Most are run by tiracs that cut up the wave form. Very few are true rheostats because of the heat dissipation.

Last edited by Marvin Gardens; 10-28-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

hmmmm...how about a VFD...just kidding...
motorcity11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #6
DIYer

Marvin is right about that, all modern dimmers work off a duty cycle principle, cutting the waveform out.

If he put the fan on a variac he could truly lower the voltage, but that's still not that effective for speed control. A rheostat/resistor would burn up unless it was massive... too many watts.

If you can afford to buy something, buy a rotisserie motor, they are already geared down and slow. Failing that, go to radio shack and buy one of the little DC toy type motors and run it on a big reduction belt.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #7
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,080

Try a fan speed control. It's specifically designed to control the speed of a motor.

Rob
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:55 AM   #8
DIYer

A ceiling fan speed control? I'm not sure that would work well. He wants this fan to spin at like 60rpm or less. If you turn the fan on low and the fan speed control on low, it probably will not turn at all. When he turns it up enough to actually rotate, it'll immediately go to like 300 rpm or whatever, with weak torque.

He'll really need either a geared down motor or a small motor with a big pulley to get these low speeds. Without a VFD you can't take an induction motor down that low.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

easiest thing to do is have someone stand there and flip the blades by hand when someone is taking their turn.... lol
lots of hassle to do what he wants.....

DM
Old 10-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,008

I tested a dimmer yesterday. Before I posted. Connected my fluke multi to the load side of a dimmer I had in the basement. It lowered the voltage proportional to the brightness of the incandescent bulb. I could get zero volts at bottom. 120 at the top. Is this because I used a dimmer that is old and are the new ones different?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
I tested a dimmer yesterday. Before I posted. Connected my fluke multi to the load side of a dimmer I had in the basement. It lowered the voltage proportional to the brightness of the incandescent bulb. I could get zero volts at bottom. 120 at the top. Is this because I used a dimmer that is old and are the new ones different?
There are true dimmers out there but they are rare. Most are triacs and I haven't seem a non triac dimmer in years.

More than likely you have a true dimmer because a triac dimmer will show 120vdc down to the lowest dim setting.

True dimmers are mostly used for commercial applications such as stage lighting. The reason that they are not found in homes is due to the heat dissipation issue. It is hard to get rid of heat in a closed up wall.

Even the triac heats up and they use the surface of the switch plate to get rid of heat by making them large and use aluminum. Some even have wings that extend beyond the switch but can still be covered by the switch cover.

CF's cannot be used with a triac because they will over heat. The pulses actually cut off the energy to the bulb and then add energy. This causes the CF to restart many times a second and is real hard on them.

There are dimmable CF's but I have never been real happy with them and they are real expensive. In my experience they have a shorter life span and the cost of replacing them over and over is much more than any energy savings. I just use incandescent in all my dimmers (which is everything).
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Put an incandescent lamp in series with the fan. Start with a 100w bulb and work down until you get the desired effect.

A glass jar full of salt water used as a resistor will also work but it is much more dangerous and the water tends to boil away in a few hours.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
DIYer

Quote:
If your meter is a true RMS meter then it was effectively averaging the voltage output.

You need an oscilloscope to be able to see the chopped up waveform correctly.

If it's very old it may well be a rheostat though. Try it on a 9 volt battery and see if it still works the same way as with AC. If it does then it's resistive.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
If your meter is a true RMS meter then it was effectively averaging the voltage output.

You need an oscilloscope to be able to see the chopped up waveform correctly.

If it's very old it may well be a rheostat though. Try it on a 9 volt battery and see if it still works the same way as with AC. If it does then it's resistive.
He could just do a resistance test.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
He could just do a resistance test.

Leave it to me to overcomplicate it. You are right, with a DMM the resistance test voltage isn't high enough to overcome the voltage drop of a SCR/triac/whatever.

Advertisement