Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

Internet connection

I have my Internet wired through my house via the wall sockets. Basically my internet signal goes from my computer into a gismo in the nearest wall socket which means that I can connect to the internet via any electrical socket in the house which works fine except for in the extension. I have tried every socket in the extension and it will not connect, if I run an extension lead from the main house to the computer in the extension it works fine. It used to work but not any more. The extension is fed from the same supply as the main house but has it's own sub-meter. Any ideas ??

Revproman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #2

Internet connection

Something is acting like a low-pass filter, and filtering out the high-bandwidth Internet connection?

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
the Musigician

Internet connection

did you check the sockets with a tester to insure proper wiring?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #4

Internet connection

Hmmm...how old is this extension? Do these circuits that don't work have breakers with a white button on them or a tab saying "test".

I'd use wifi though.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #5

Internet connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
I'd use wifi though.
x2 on WiFi...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #6

Internet connection

The sockets are fine and I also have wifi but the signal is not strong enough to reach, only %10. Like I said it worked fine for years until 6 months ago. I will try unplugging everything else in the extension because it is has got to be something within that circuit and the low-pass filter idea sounds likely. Thanks anyway.
Revproman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #7

Internet connection

Taking a stab here, not sure if I understand.... either you are running wireless in the addition of your house and the wireless signal is not working, or you are plugged into an internet jack (Socket) in the addtion and can no longer get recepetion you had 6 months ago, unless you run an extended internet cable direct form the old section of the house.

I find I sometimes lose my laptop wireless signal when I'm in the family room near the router at our main computer if my kids have a lot of wireless gaming toys running as well. When I go further away with no interference from toys I actually get an uninterupted signal. I also find when I unplug the laptop and battery runs low the interference is worse.

If you mean you have a poor signal using several actual wall jacks (socket) in the addition of the house I would be checking for a bad connection at the junction or terminal for that entire addition as it seems to affect all locations(sockets)???
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #8

Internet connection

The OP is using powerline networking
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-network.htm

As I understand the power outlets in a room addition used to work - but not anymore.

I suggest to apply basic troubleshooting methodologies - it used to work, so what's changed? If nothing has changed then what is malfunctioning? Etc...

Try Googling powerline networking troubleshooting or similar and you'll find several items that may be of help.

I do computer networking for a living, specializing in corporate and carrier class wireless networks. I have never been a fan of powerline networking for the home...

Last edited by vsheetz; 04-20-2009 at 12:17 AM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #9

Internet connection

Do you have any new devices plugged into your circuits? Unplug everything in the addition.

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote