Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Interlock Kit for Generator

I am planning on getting an generator interlock kit installed into my main panel. I am going to get quotes from a few licensed electricians in my area. But I just want to be educated before talking to them. I know which interlock kit I need for my panel. So it need the top 2 right breakers to be free in order to install the breaker that will go to the plug outside of the house. Currently my well pump takes up these 2 slots in my breaker. I do have 2 free breakers on the right bottom of the panel. So I imagine that the electrician will just move my well pump to this location???? Does that sound right? If so how should this be done? I have read stuff about pigtails inside of the panel, etc.

Or would you guys suggest just getting a manual transfer switch installed instead? The only problem I see with those is you only get 10 or so breakers. I like the idea of being able to pick and choose what I want to use in my main panel with the interlock kit.

Thanks.

db_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_9 View Post
So I imagine that the electrician will just move my well pump to this location???? Does that sound right?
Yup. That's pretty much the drill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_9 View Post
If so how should this be done? I have read stuff about pigtails inside of the panel, etc.
What have you heard?

Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

About the pigtailing, I probably have my terminology wrong as I am not an electrician. But thats why I am here

I guess what I am asking is this. When they wired the well pump originally I imagine they trimmed the wire when they were done. So there will not be enough existing wire to move the well pump to the new location in the panel. So how do you add more wire the correct way to move the breaker to the new location?

Thanks.
db_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,134

Just add the lenght of wire you need to reach the breaker.
If you are in Canada, then you can not splice in the panel.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

I installed my own SqaureD interlock and there was enough slack to make it work.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote