Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #1

Share |

Interior Motion Sensor question

I have a novice's grasp on electrical wiring, and have installed a few lighting fixtures for myself and friends. I recently had a friend that bought a new house, and she asked me if I could help her install a new Chandalier in her entry room, which is without any lighting.

This room has a door coming in from the garage on one side, a door going to the rest of the house on the opposite side, and the front door on the adjacent side.

My first thought was a 4-way switch, which I'm sure I could install. My second thought was a single switch by the door leading into the rest of the house, with a motion sensor accompanying it.

I've been unable to find out the specifics of these switches online, and am wondering if a thought I've had is viable.

My thought is to have 2 hot wires going to the Chandalier in parallel, one from a standard switch (likely with a dimmer, not that it matters much) and the other coming from the motion detector switch. My question is will this will create a problem with Voltage (or Wattage, my technical lingo is bad) or if there is a simpler way to do this?

Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
So Cal Electrician

Send a message via Yahoo to hbsparky

why not just use a motion sensor with an on/off/auto feature?

Old 05-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #3

You want what is called an occupancy sensor. They come in three way versions. I'm not sure if they come in dimmer versions, but three way switches comes in dimmer versions I would not install parallel switch wiring. You have go to both switches to possibly turn off the lights.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #4

1. By doing electrical work in someone elses home, when you do not know much about it yourself, you are not only breaking the law, but you are risking thier safety and not doing anyone any favors.

2. This is not rocket science, but just like tieing ones shoes, none of us knew how to do it till someone showed us how.

Get a good book on residential wiring and do some reading and studying. Mistakes you make in wiring do not always cause a problem immediately. The system can seem to work well for months or years before the house burns down.

Friends don't let friends do shabby electrical work.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, I've never dealt with interior sensors and was unable to find anything online of a technical nature about them.

I'm just seeing what options I can give to my friend at the moment, it's not my call ultimately on what gets installed, I'm just going to offer up what I can install.

I do have a decent grasp of electrical wiring, I watched as my dad explained wiring up the garage he built when I was in Jr High, and spent a couple summers in high school working for my uncles, who own a contracting business that builds homes from the ground up. What I lack is the technical lingo, and advanced concepts.

Last edited by Stout; 05-08-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Stout is offline   Reply With Quote