Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

interference between underground electrical and coax

I'm running new 200 amp service to my home. It's going to be underground within conduit. I want to use the same trench to bury my cable line. I plan to, of course, put the cable in a separate conduit.

I'm worried that the electrical service may interfere with my cable signal. Should I be? Is there some minimum spacing that I should maintain between the two conduits? My electrical company and cable company do not see any problems, but I wanted another opinion.

Thanks!

rowlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

You shouldn't have a problem depending on the coax.

However, usually (around here) the POCO will dig the trench for their lines, then the other utilities will drop their stuff in. I have never heard of anyone having to supply the feeds to the house.

That being said, I don't know the specific rules for your area.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 28

In my (and most) areas, the customer has to provide underground electric, excavation and material. The catv and telco companies want a conduit with a pull string.

It is completely typical to have the three conduits running together in the trench.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
rowlander (03-31-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
In my (and most) areas, the customer has to provide underground electric, excavation and material. The catv and telco companies want a conduit with a pull string.

It is completely typical to have the three conduits running together in the trench.
That's interesting. We just slap the meter pedestal on the side of the building and the POCO brings its lines to it.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
That's interesting. We just slap the meter pedestal on the side of the building and the POCO brings its lines to it.
That would sure save our customers a lot of money.

I guess our POCO feels if you want to have your house 1000' back off the property line you can pay to bring the power to it yourself.
They do have some allowances, like they will bring in the first pole (about 150' into the property), after that it's all customer. Even an UG transformer pad is customer responsibility.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #6

From the "low-voltage" side of things....If your CATV cable is going to be in a conduit...there will be no chance for interference. Drop all conduits in the same trench.
lowvolter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lowvolter For This Useful Post:
rowlander (03-31-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
zpm
yeah, right

Years ago I talked to the "cable guy" while he was installing my cable and asked him that question. He told me that the CATV doesn't get interference from 60hz AC because it runs on a much higher frequency. YMMV.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #8

Thanks! I'll drop them both in the same trench. FYI, the electric company will trench for me, or I can trench myself and leave them a conduit with a pull string. I went with the second option. I want to minimize damage to my landscaping, and it's a good excuse to run a trencher!
rowlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Wish it was that easy here.

Here it's the same as Speedy's area customer is responsible for the cost of everything from the pole to the meter on underground. And from weather head down with overhead. They will go up to 150' off the road with a pole and up to 500' along a road.

Some places easements have to be signed and some places they just run poles along the road and no permission is needed.

Just hope you don't have an angry neighbor because I did a service last December that can't be connected because of easement.

Last edited by rrolleston; 03-31-2012 at 09:37 AM.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #10
Limited Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpm
Years ago I talked to the "cable guy" while he was installing my cable and asked him that question. He told me that the CATV doesn't get interference from 60hz AC because it runs on a much higher frequency. YMMV.
Well mostly. The design of coax, <b>coaxial<b> aligned center conductor fully surrounded by a shields/second conductor is a big reason there's not an issue.

Now if your main service was carrying 200 or 500 amps continuous and the coax hard against it you could get an induced voltage but with limited current which could drive you nuts with hum and other glitches on analog devices. Which is another reason for separate conduit. It forces a few inches of separation.
raleighthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Here they are switching to direct burial RG-11 for homes. 14 gauge center conductor much thicker insulation and gel filled. And they are also doing 6 pair 22 gauge gel filled with a copper insulator around the wires to homes for telephone. Both have a PVC like coating. Much better than what they used to use.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #12

Cool

Having been in the Navy for six years as an Interior Communications Electrician i'd say i've ran over 1000' feet of coaxial. Sure not much by most peoples standards but before you speak remember this is installed in a watertight/airtight metal box that is constantly moving.

Like said earlier by another member, unless you're running a lot of continuous current I wouldn't be too concerned about spacing. We have a minimum seperation of 2" for all RF cables on ships. I can assure you, running RF cables against 60hz lines that have considerable current running in it WILL cause very annoying interference and in some cases degrade your picture to .

I highly reccomend spending the extra few pennies on RG11 for your latteral.

RG11 is 14ga, RG6 is 18ga. Your dB loss is much less, up to 3x less when using RG11. Your OD is greater though, more difficult to manipulate and you will need larger connectors obviously. If you can spend the extra money on RG11, try to look for a solid copper conductor. Copper clad will still be better than RG6. We used Times Microwave RG11 to run our four feeders and then Motorola 8 port taps to feed RG6 quad core. Also, for your connectors, don't use crimp. The compression fittings are FAR superior than any crimp will ever provide. The RG11 compressions can handle 40lbs of pulling force.

Time Warner & Cox Communications will provide all compression fittings during time of installation. You will want to request in advance about having RG11 as not all service technicians have the tool/fittings/knowledge with them.

Another tip: If you decide to run RG11 and the cable company will not provide the connectors for you, practice on scrap cable installing the connectors on the RG11. Trust me, your first will not be perfect. Or try finding someone on Craigslist that can help you with them.
L1ghtB0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ghtB0i View Post
Time Warner & Cox Communications will provide all compression fittings during time of installation. You will want to request in advance about having RG11 as not all service technicians have the tool/fittings/knowledge with them.

Another tip: If you decide to run RG11 and the cable company will not provide the connectors for you, practice on scrap cable installing the connectors on the RG11. Trust me, your first will not be perfect. Or try finding someone on Craigslist that can help you with them.

Here time warner cable provides as much RG-11 direct burial as you want and will install the compression fittings when they get there to hook up service. And the phone company will drop off a spool of 6 pair direct burial. All this for me was no extra charge.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
Here time warner cable provides as much RG-11 direct burial as you want and will install the compression fittings when they get there to hook up service. And the phone company will drop off a spool of 6 pair direct burial. All this for me was no extra charge.
Sounds like New York utilities are quite generous. Time Warner out here are idiots... I couldn't find a person on the phone that knew coax from their butt and I specifically requested to be contacted prior to surveying the land for installation. Two weeks later we get a letter saying they cannot provide service due to the cost being too high. Are you kidding?! How do they know the customer isn't willing to pay the amount? My mom requires fast internet to do her job. I could go on about the others but i'm deviating from topic.

L1ghtB0i is offline   Reply With Quote