Interconnected Smokes - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
When is fishing season?

Rewards Points: 500

Interconnected smokes

We currently have a fully interconnected smoke system with a total of 6 detectors total. I would like to change 2 of them to combo Co2 units. Are all hard wired smokes and Co2 interchangable? If not, how do I know if they are?

Advertisement

CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Interconnected smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
We currently have a fully interconnected smoke system with a total of 6 detectors total. I would like to change 2 of them to combo Co2 units. Are all hard wired smokes and Co2 interchangable? If not, how do I know if they are?
If the smokes are near 10 years or older than your best to replace them all. Smokes and Combo's are interchangeable but you need to stay with the same brand, lot#, etc.

Jeff

Advertisement

ElectricianJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
When is fishing season?

Interconnected smokes

Well, they were kind of added as we remodeled, but I would say the oldest is only 2 years old or so, the newest about 6 months old. I would rather not replace all of them, but I guess worst case scenerio is I can't fint a combo unit from the same manufactorer and replace them all. I believe they are Kiddie brand from HD.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Interconnected smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
Well, they were kind of added as we remodeled, but I would say the oldest is only 2 years old or so, the newest about 6 months old. I would rather not replace all of them, but I guess worst case scenerio is I can't fint a combo unit from the same manufactorer and replace them all. I believe they are Kiddie brand from HD.
Kidde makes a combo unit, try a couple of them and you will probably be good to go.

Jeff
ElectricianJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
When is fishing season?

Interconnected smokes

Is there a way to know for sure they are interchangable before buying them? Is this something they should say on the package?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Interconnected smokes

I don't know about lot numbers, but I just wired my rehab project with brand K smoke and combo detectors. I have two CO/smoke detectors mixed in with about 6 smoke detectors. They communicate nicely. They're wired together like 3-way switches... with 12-3 wire. You've got two for power and one for signal. I don't know exactly how the detectors use that signal wire, but I would think it would be fairly generic. Over a certain voltage means a unit has detected a fire! Alarm!

Anyway, it's something you could easily try. If the unit you buy doesn't communicate with the others, return it... try again. I think if you hold down the test button long enough it will set off the others, right? If not, fog one of them with enough lysol to set it off
radon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
When is fishing season?

Interconnected smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by radon View Post
I don't know about lot numbers, but I just wired my rehab project with brand K smoke and combo detectors. I have two CO/smoke detectors mixed in with about 6 smoke detectors. They communicate nicely. They're wired together like 3-way switches... with 12-3 wire. You've got two for power and one for signal. I don't know exactly how the detectors use that signal wire, but I would think it would be fairly generic. Over a certain voltage means a unit has detected a fire! Alarm!

Anyway, it's something you could easily try. If the unit you buy doesn't communicate with the others, return it... try again. I think if you hold down the test button long enough it will set off the others, right? If not, fog one of them with enough lysol to set it off

Okay, I think I will pick up just one this weekend when I go to Lowes, and if it works then I will pick up more next time I am out there.

Thanks.

Advertisement