Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Interchangeable circuit breakers for ITE BREAKER BOX & dimming lites/1 time NO powere

Trying to find a chart for interchangeable ITE circuit breakers. Have searched the net and have found so far the Siemens bought out ITE and are one in the same breaker and exchangeable. But have also found reference that GE is an exchange for the ITE. (cannot confirm this exchange) Hoping to find a chart that will confirm any other exchange besides the ITE/Siemens.

Not sure if that is my problem, having to replace circuit breakers, but am hopeful...

HERE IS MY PROBLEM....
Have noticed on a few occasions lighting in bedroom #1 dims and brightens, last night went into the bedroom #2 and light switch did not turn on the ceiling light, wiggled the toggle switch and it came on...(these two rooms are on the same breaker)

Then last night went to bedroom #3 and turned on the tv and bedside lamp, both went off b4 getting into bed. Checked the ceiling light, was not working, hallway light not working and bathroom outlet off for sure... kitchen light remained on (is on a different circuit) by the time I got downstairs to check the breaker, tv and light came back on in the third bedroom, but checked the breaker for that area, clicked it off then back on.... Seems fine today.

The breakers for the above mentioned rooms (areas) are side by side in the panel box.

Any ideas as to the cause of these dimming/outages?

Thanking you for any info you might be able to offer!

hootchiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,248

Interchangeable circuit breakers for ITE BREAKER BOX & dimming lites/1 time NO powere

A loose connection would cause this.
Siemens is the correct breaker, do not us a GE.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #3

jbfan, are you saying a loose connection with the breaker? Or somewhere else?

The city had waterlines replaced out on the roadway this summer and then new road put in, in the process they used one of those vibrating compactor machines, shook the whole house, wound up with my hot water baseboard piping in the basement come crashing down from the ceiling, along with everything in the house vibrating.

Thanks jbfan for the quick reply!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #4

OPPS, jb forgot to ask if the replacement of the breakers will fix this mysterious haunting of my house. OR if I need to have something else done.
Again thanks so much jb!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,248

The loose connection could be anywhere from the panel to the switch.
It depends on how the wiring runs from the panel.
Is it only these 2 circuits that are giving you problems?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #6

To the best of my knowledge, yes the only two that I have noticed. and basically last night was the first time I lost total power. In the past with the one room, thought it could be the electric company power coming into the house.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Let you know that you can NOT use the GE breakers in Seimens ( ITE ) breaker box at all.

Techally it can fit but the bussbar connection is not excatally right on spot and this is one of few breakers I have ran into that issue.

Now for two affected circuit check for loose connection at the switch box or receptales. I will start the one toward the breaker box (closest one to it) and check that first then work it way downstream.

Merci,
Marc

hootchiesmom (11-30-2012)