DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

integrating electrical surge protector into wall?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike Swearingen 
#1 ·
hi, i have a lots of electronic in my bedroom and living room that uses a power plug. i have about two HUGE power surge protectors in those rooms. is there a way i can build a power suge protector into the wall? i hate having those power surge protectors lying around the ground with miles of power plug entangling in each other.

#3 ·
Even if you have a whole house surge protector you still need a point of use surge protector. If a surge came in from, say, the phone line or cable into your powered cordless phone base station or your set top box, the surge might feed back into the electrical system. Also, if you house is not well grounded (even if it is) and lightning strikes very near your house you would be at risk if only you had a whole house system.

I don't know if they make receptacle boxed sized surge protectors.

#4 · (Edited)
I have a "whole house" surge protector installed inside my 200 amp electrical panel. Fortunately, it has never been needed, but if it ever blows, I can easily replace it. Picked it up at a local electrical supply house, and I think that it was less than $30 bucks.
Of course, it doesn't protect anything through the phone line and I'm on cable for Internet, too, but I have a Back UPS Pro 650 surge protector and battery backup unit for my computer.
Can't get enough surge protection. Had a neighbor's house set on fire with an electrical surge through a nearby lightning strike on a power line transformer a few years ago.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.