Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #1

Share |

Insulation and electrical wires - tar seep

The other day I was in my attic running nework wires and had to move some insulation. I noticed on the kraft facing there was tar seeping through where it was in contact with the romex wire. Looks as if the insulation was jut laid on top of the wire.

Is this normal?
The circuit that one of the wires was doing that is not overloaded - 3 hi hats, 2 ceiling fans, 1 stairway light and the smoke alarms (3). It is a 20A circuit...

I did go around the attic and put the wire on top of the insulation where I could (instead of it being buried underneath) and pulled the kraft facing off where i could not do that.

Thanks!
zephed666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
JOATMON

Let me guess....your house was built in the 50's?

Yea...normal. The attic gets warm enough for the 'black stuff' to stick to what ever the romex is next to. It's not an indication of the wire over heating.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

Yea...normal. The attic gets warm enough for the 'black stuff' to stick to what ever the romex is next to. It's not an indication of the wire over heating.
Yup, built in the 50s. But the wiring is newer.

Thanks!
zephed666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

Dawg..... Just curiosity.... I call that wire "old Romex".... does it have a real/actual name. (My kids places 1949 and 53 is full of it)
Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Dawg..... Just curiosity.... I call that wire "old Romex".... does it have a real/actual name. (My kids places 1949 and 53 is full of it)
No idea....my house has the same thing...in reality, "Romex" is a trade name.....sort of like "Formica". People are so used to associating the name to a type of material that it becomes the name of the material.

As I understand it...the stuff we have came into being in the 30's as a replacement for Knob & Tube. It's insulated copper wire with a wrap of paper and then asphalt-saturated cotton cloth on the outside.

My
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-20-2013), Philly Master (05-20-2013)