Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Insulated metal grounding bushing in meter socket

So in my inspection today, the inspector said he wants the point where the SE-U on the load side of the meter going into the house to the service panel to have an insulated bonded bushing. I asked him if that was required because my POCO says do not ground the meter, and he said it was.

So I need this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1&ddkey=Search

My POCO has an online manual here:
http://www.dteenergy.com/pdfs/serviceEquipment.pdf

This manual goes into a 2 page essay about grounding and bonding, which is summarized by 2 sentences pointing at 2 x's showing that the grounding conductor does not connect to the meter. These sentences read as follows:

DO NOT RUN OR
CONNECT GROUND
WIRE TO METER

NEUTRAL CURRENT
WILL FLOW THROUGH
GROUND BUS IF
GROUND WIRE IS
CONNECTED TO METER
ENCLOSURE

So my question is this, I assume that AHJ says use this bushing, I use the bushing. But it seems pointless if I am not connecting a grounding wire into the lug on the bushing. It seems clear that the POCO says do not put a wire into the bushing. Do I just put in the bushing with no wire, or do I put in a wire?

Yes I tried to clear this up with the inspector, and I did not at the time know exactly what the bushing was, so I didn't know enough to really press him on the point until it was clear to me. The 30 minutes he has office hours on Thursday coincide with a regular weekly meeting at work, and I don't expect him to be in the office the Friday before the Memorial day weekend.

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Is the seu going directly from meterpan to panel or is it going thru metal or pvc conduit?

NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Bond bushing or locknut are typically used with metallic conduits. I don't know why he would want them used with SE-U.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
I ask the impossible!

I have the meter panel secured to a brick wall using unistrut because I needed about a 1-1/2" offset so the service mast could clear the aluminum siding. The SEU goes through a 5" long conduit nipple because there wasn't enough space for a weathertight fighting and to be able to caulk the SEU going through the brick.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Can you switch to PVC between the socket and panel? Can the bond be in the panel instead of the socket?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
I ask the impossible!

The 5" nipple is really only serving to keep the weather out of the meter socket and the point where the penetration of the outside of the brick wall. The nipple does not go to the indoor side of the brick as the brick is 12" thick and there is a stud wall behind it.

I think changing out the conduit would require more disassembly than the bond bushing.. At $4.35 plus other fittings for the conduit vs $4.97 for the bushings, it doesn't sound like the better option.

The cable goes through a clamp at the service panel, not sure what bonding is involved that isn't already there... The green ground screw is installed and the ground bars connect to the metal conduit going to the garage and 2 5/8" ground rods.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Licensed electrician

Let my get a better picture. The SE is clamped to the socket back and there is a free floating metallic conduit slid over the SE? Or is the metallic conduit directly out of the back of the socket and the SE is slid thru the conduit?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
I ask the impossible!

Sorry to confuse it, the SE is clamped inside the house at the main panel. At the socket, the conduit nipple is secured to the back of the socket with a locknut on both sides. And the SE is slid through the conduit