Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

Share |

Insulate around drafty circuit breaker box

I just opened my circuit breaker box while doing some other repairs in my house and noticed cold air from outside getting in. The box is in a room in my finished basement which of course is very cold. I've never messed with a breaker box before both because I've never needed to and because of a fear that I'll touch the wrong thing and end up in the hospital.

So, dear readers, what's the best and above all, safest way to insulate around the breaker box?

JoeyJoeJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

If you are getting cold air in through the feed conduit, you can just spray foam to help seal the hole. Usually you use what is called Monkey ****, which is a white putty to pack in around wires. It is the best option over spray foam, since the putty is non-flammable, and does not deteriorate over time.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If you are getting cold air in through the feed conduit, you can just spray foam to help seal the hole. Usually you use what is called Monkey ****, which is a white putty to pack in around wires. It is the best option over spray foam, since the putty is non-flammable, and does not deteriorate over time.
don't use spray foam for this application. Monkey or bear **** would be a good solution for inside pipes. Although what i was picturing, from the question, was drafter air coming in through all the tiny hole in the enclosure of the panel. In my opinion, the ONLY solution would be to remove the sheet rock around the panel and insulate with fiberglass insulation the best you can. You don't want any insulation inside the panel
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote