Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #1

Share |

Installing an in-wall touchscreen LCD to code

I purchased one of these ELO 1545L touchscreen monitors off ebay for a whopping $40 used! They sell for around $600 new so I bought one to see how it looked and it's in very good shape. It even has a glass front to it so it will look great in-wall.

My problem is that it has a 110v plug on the back of it (see link with pictures) and I'm not sure how to install it to code. I didn't even think about it until my Dad talked with me and now, after researching these types of screens, if they're intended for in-wall applications they come with a 12v adapter. I'd like to try to use this one because a used one with a 12v adapter will run me $300+.

With that, do I have any options? A friend pointed these out and I'm not sure if I could get away with using one of them:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=182-700
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-004-47...p_ob_e_image_3

Or, could I take out the 110v plug and wire romex directly into the back of the monitor, then on the other end of the romex put a male, 3-prong plug and plug it into a receptacle in my basement?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELO-15-inch-LCD-...item1e58bbbf99

mazeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

You might be able to use one of those enclosures for your application IF you could make a suitable front panel to mount your monitor in/on. Install a suitable junction box in or on the inside of the enclosure, along with a receptacle outlet. Both of those enclosures should have provisions for a power outlet.

Then the monitor could plug into that, and the enclosure would keep the associated wiring and connections within the controlled space.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Then the monitor could plug into that, and the enclosure would keep the associated wiring and connections within the controlled space.
Within the controlled space. This is what kills me, though, I understand the importance of codes and following them. Installing a receptacle inside that box, as far as safety goes, is no different then if I install the receptacle in the wall attached to a 2x4 next to the monitor. I could then run a 6" cord from the receptacle to the back of the monitor. According to the specs for this monitor, it pulls at maximum 0.5A at 120v and average power consumption is 20w. I could see if this was a power cord in the wall for a plasma that's sucking 300+ watts but this little LCD? Nah!

Could I install a receptacle in the wall like I mentioned above? I'll be cutting out a 13" x 16" hole for the screen so I wouldn't technically be running the power cord "through" a wall, rather, barely in it!

In all seriousness, I would love to avoid using one of those boxes. If I can't do the receptacle idea in the wall what about opening the back of the monitor and attaching romex directly to the power supply leads and removing the male end?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

These screens are not meant to be placed in a wall. You have to use the cabinet type that you are not wanting to use. Also, they have to be able to be unplugged by using the NEMA plug, and cannot change it by hard wiring Romex to the stranded cord, which is not code. Also with these Touch screens, they are meant to be used in Jukebox kiosks, ATM's, POS systems, not by themselves, because a computer makes them a touch screen, not just using them alone.

Along with the AC wiring, you will also have to have a VGA & USB wire running from a computer that could be who knows where in the house, which means again, another device. This challenge will take some more thinking through, with possibly going to a true Home Theater store, not Best Buy or Wally World to pick some professional A/V installer input, or even hiring them to do the job properly for what you are wanting to do.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the input, I think

I'm actually quite competent with electrical stuff and am very competent with computers. I just finished installing 12 canned recessed lights in my theater room with two dimmers and made sure everything was to code. I even used this to run the power and cables through the ceiling. See, I'm not a total hack!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

The screen is going on the kitchen wall and directly below it is the closet for the theater room. The compute, processor, amps and sources for the theater are in that closet as well as the computer that will be running the touchscreen. The only thing I need to run from the computer to the screen is a USB cable and a 15 pin VGA cable, which I have ones in varying lengths at my disposal. The only bump in the road is legally getting power to this screen.

My last two options are plopping down a few hundred more and buying one with a 12v power adapter so I could run low voltage through the wall. The other option is to not cut a hole in the wall and install a receptable right next to where the screen is to be mounted, around 5'2" in the center. Then, I can build a wooden frame around the LCD screen that's a few inches wider than the screen and mount it on the wall. I would then plug the screen into the wall receptacle with a short power cord and hide the excess in the back. I would use one of those wall plates like in the link above that would allow power and for me to run the USB and VGA wires through.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #6

Do you have a pic of where its being installed?
I think I'd cut the wall all the way thru. then finish/frame it out
Then put a removeable panel in to access the back of the touch screen
Then you are not running anything thru a wall
...or is the closet not behind the wall ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

This is not a "I am competent with computers" job, or "Dude, I have a awesome set of tools, I can fix anything!" This is something that will take getting into the car, and talking to the experts at your local A/V shop (again, not BB or Wally world), and finding out how they do it. You need to think this through, instead of "Hey, I can just cut a hole, run some wire, and crimp with my awesome set of auto crimpers."

If I did it myself, I would be taking the time to do it right, planning on paper, and opening my wallet in this instance for the install part. As for the application, what are you planning on doing with them? Rotating pic's, 15" media controllers, home automation? Those are the questions that I would be writing down, and then figuring total cost what this is going to cost, because it will be more then what you may realize. Computer hardware alone for a decent server will run you over $2,500, networking equipment that is not Consumer grade, you are looking at least $1,000. As for software, if running in Linux, time alone to set up, you cannot even figure the cost for time to tweak it out. Package software alone can run you upwards $5,000. As for the install, that you may be able to get done for around $1,000 to $2,500 depending on the shop, just to install the panels, run the wires, but not connect.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #8

Gregzoll, you have me WAY overestimated on what I want from this system! Also, how do you build a decent server for $2500? I could build a killer server, with a redundant RAID 5 system, quad core, UPS, the works, for well under $1000.

For starters, the PC is built. E1200 dual core with Windows XP. The PC will be used for iTunes music playing throughout the house with 6 different zones, each with a volume control. I'll be using my iPod Touch to wirelessly control iTunes, or I can use the touchscreen. The screen will also be used to check the front door camera, watch TV from my server (MythTV), check the local weather and traffic and to be used as a digital picture frame. I have $320 in the computer and camera, $360 in the speakers/volume controls/CL2 rated speaker wire, $160 for the 6 channel digital amplifier I built (triamp chip based) and only $40 for the screen. $880 total. I can sell the screen, buy a screen that will take a low voltage input and still be around $1000 for everything. Then, I wouldn't need to go talk to some "pro" about how to legally wire a 110v computer monitor in a wall.

Last edited by mazeroth; 10-25-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Do you have a pic of where its being installed?
I think I'd cut the wall all the way thru. then finish/frame it out
Then put a removeable panel in to access the back of the touch screen
Then you are not running anything thru a wall
...or is the closet not behind the wall ?
The other side of the wall is the family room so this option won't work. Though, a few feet down the wall is a closet but then the screen would be midway between the kitchen and the dining room and would kill the purpose of watching television or a movie while cooking and baking. Hey, anything to keep my wife in the kitchen is a GOOD THING!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #10

Well, 2 choices

#1 Cut open the wall & build it in - recessed
Then put in a recessed outlet

#2 Build it onto the wall, & install a recessed outlet

They have them with a wire "chase" to go to the PC too

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroth View Post
The other side of the wall is the family room so this option won't work. Though, a few feet down the wall is a closet but then the screen would be midway between the kitchen and the dining room and would kill the purpose of watching television or a movie while cooking and baking. Hey, anything to keep my wife in the kitchen is a GOOD THING!
If it keeps her in the kitchen, can you tell me where to get one of these? I would like to install it in the bedroom!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
If it keeps her in the kitchen, can you tell me where to get one of these? I would like to install it in the bedroom!
Zing!

Guys, I want to thank you all for all the input but after giving this a lot of thought I think I'm just going to pony up and pay the money for one that's meant to be installed in-wall. It's just not worth it.

Thanks again, and sorry if I wasted anyone's time.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroth View Post
Zing!

Guys, I want to thank you all for all the input but after giving this a lot of thought I think I'm just going to pony up and pay the money for one that's meant to be installed in-wall. It's just not worth it.

Thanks again, and sorry if I wasted anyone's time.
if you have no use for the one you got, you can send it to me!!

after I figure it out, I will send you pics on how to install for as little as possible.

btw: installing that is really a piece of cake depending on what you want it to look like.

Last edited by nap; 10-26-2009 at 11:23 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #14

mazeroth what did you end up doing for your touchscreens?

xylenex is offline   Reply With Quote