Installing Vanity Light In Place Of Double Swag - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing Vanity Light in place of double Swag

I am replacing a double swag light in my bathroom with a vanity bar light. The problem I have is that my electric box in the bathroom has 2 separate sets of supply wires coming into it (each with 1 black wire and 1 white wire). The 2 white supply wires each hooked to a separate fixture wire for the 2 swag lights. The 2 black supply wires were not hooked to anything, but were wire nutted together.

When installing the new light, there are white, black and ground fixture wires. We tried hooking the 2 black supply wires with the black fixture wire, and the 2 white supply wires with the white fixture wire, but that did not work. We then tried hooking only one of the black supply wires with the black fixture wire and one of the white supply wires with the white fixture wire (and just taping the extra supply wires off to the side), but that also did not work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

ddthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Installing Vanity Light in place of double Swag

Need pictures. It is possible, that you may have a "switch loop". Only way to find out, is to open the box that the switches are in on the wall.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote