DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing vanity bar light

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Yoyizit 
#1 ·
Quick question. I am remodeling my bathroom and would like to install a 3 light bar fixture above the vanity. The problem is that the sink air vent PVC is exactly between the studs vertically where I would want to place the box. I have 2x4 construction, and there obviously is no room for a box. Any suggestions? I have not dry walled this section and have easy access, although the last thing I want to do is move the pipe? Can I install a shallow box - like a ceiling fan mount? If so, how do I attach it? There is no stud directly behind it - just the PVC pipe.

#2 · (Edited)
If the Code allows, and
if you have a table saw, and
if it is easier/cheaper than moving that pipe,

make a custom box and mount the light on that box that mounts on the wall and looks like it belongs there.
Put some fancy molding around it. Nobody will notice it, or figure out its purpose. Maybe its 1.5 hrs labor plus a few bucks for material. If the box is to be stained, not painted, the miter joints have to be pretty good.
The lamp's elec. box goes in this box.

#5 ·
If the Code allows, and
if you have a table saw, and
if it is easier/cheaper than moving that pipe,

make a custom box and mount the light on that box that mounts on the wall and looks like it belongs there.
Building your own electrical box is a violation. Trimming around a UL rated box is fine.
Why not just bring the Cable (NM?) into the light connection box. There is no rule regarding a box behind the fixture. The fixture is your box and no other boxes are required.

#3 ·
Shallow box

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about that as well. I just found another option which is to install a shallow old work box B117RSW or B108R-UPC . HD carries the 108R I believe. Sice the box is only 1.25 deep it should be OK since it is a single gang application.

#6 ·
Thanks for the tip. The only issue would be supporting the fixture on the wall since there is only wallboard behind it. I read another post that suggested placing a 1x6 behind the wallboard secured between the studs, then mount a 1/2 inch pancake box to that, and then the fixture to the box. This will give me plenty of clearance between the wallboard, 1X6, and the PVC vent pipe. This seems to be the best solution, and since I haven't put that section of wallboard up it should work fine....I'll let you know. (Yes, single NM cable into the box)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.