Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Installing Switch in Pocket Door Wall

In the process of doing a complete home rehab for my family. My wife loves pocket doors, so.......... we have pocket doors. Several of them. In most cases, I've worked out the wiring/switch/plug locations away from the pocket frame areas. However, in two cases, the ideal location is in the wall area of the pocket. 2x4 wall construction. Would prefer to not shore out the walls thicker or have an exterior switch box.
I'm looking for options to wire a double switch in these small cavities. Unfortunately, one of the switches is to be a dimmer, which further creates space issues using shallow boxes. As it stands, I have about 1 1/4" depth to work with for the box. Is there such a box out there? And only 1/2"strong for running wire. Would running the wire in 1/2" EMT up into the attic cavity work? Is there a specific product out there for this application?
This is a permitted job.
Just looking for options here.
Thanks!
Jules

JulesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

The 1/2 inch emt to the attic would be fine. I know you don't want the wall built out but what about two layers of 1/2 inch drywall on wall with the door? That would give you another inch, so added to the 1 1/4 inch that you have would give you 2 1/4 inches to work with. Is there any option to mount the box on the other wall inside or outside of the door?

teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamo View Post
The 1/2 inch emt to the attic would be fine. I know you don't want the wall built out but what about two layers of 1/2 inch drywall on wall with the door? That would give you another inch, so added to the 1 1/4 inch that you have would give you 2 1/4 inches to work with. Is there any option to mount the box on the other wall inside or outside of the door?
Thanks for your response.

The 1 1/4 included the first layer of rock, so I would only gain a 1/2" by doubling up.
This setup is a jack and jill/California bath. The two wall/doors in question are entering from the master bedroom on one side, and a second bedroom - 1/2 bath from the other. I can put the switches for the master on the outside if I have to, but can't from the 2nd bedroom. ie- my two daughters room. At the moment, 2 years old, and not-yet-born-girl. I can just see it. A five year old showing a three year old how to "freak" mommy out by flipping a three-way outside the main bath/shower area

I see using the EMT less of a potential problem than the CM's of the switch boxes.

Regards,
Jules
Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #4

Is there anyway to fur out that side of the pocket door? Say 1in furred out with wood and then rock over that. Then you have enough room to put a normal box in.
proremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by proremodel View Post
Is there anyway to fur out that side of the pocket door? Say 1in furred out with wood and then rock over that. Then you have enough room to put a normal box in.

I plan to do that as a last resort. I need switches on two walls in the same room, so I'd loose 2" total space out of the room. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I am working with limited space, and would prefer not, if possible.

thanks.
Jules
Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

I'm doing this with double pocket doors this week. Would be curious to know how you ended up doing this.
djinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 500

A 4 square box and a flat mud ring is the shallowest box out there. They are 1 1/2 deep.

Last edited by jimmy21; 10-21-2011 at 09:02 PM.
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,166

IIRC you can fit a 2" deep box in the pocket door frame. The door does not fill the entire cavity between the slides.
jimmy21 (10-21-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Home Depot has some real nice pull-chain fixtures and you could use a gold chain with a fancy fob.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Check with your codes, though - mine was stingy and to avoid losing space in the room by furring out I just put the switch on a different wall.

However - there are shallow-depth boxes (1-1/2 deep I think) and special receptacles and switches that fit into these.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
mem

Rewards Points: 150

Perhaps an occupancy sensor would allow you to locate the switch in a different wall with more space. Auto on--auto off, nice! I put one in our main bath as the girls refused to turn that light off. Even ran it thru a dimmer and installed an override for constant on power when needed.
mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #12

I know that you are limited for space, but could you build out the corner 3"x3" or 3 1/2" x 3 1/2 to accomodate the switch?
eddie1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Pull chains I'm tellin' ya - PULL CHAINS!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #14

Not sure if this would help or if I understood correctly, but in the spots where the perfect location is where the pocket door is... Does the pocket door meet the wall with a almost T-shape where the vertical segment of the T would be the door and the horizontal is another wall? If that's the case, or if not, I was just wondering why that location where the door shuts wouldn't work.. unless it's an issue with running the wiring over to that spot? (Basically, why can't you put a switch right next to where the pocket door closes be it at a perpendicular angle to the door or what have you, as opposed to where it opens?)
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #15

Decided to build out the frame with 2x6s using 2x4s on flat and use a 4 square box (as per jimmy)... Sorry Bud

djinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote