Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #1

Share |
Question

installing a subpanel from 10/2 wire.

Can I take my old dryer 10/2 wire on a 30A double pole breaker and convert it to a 30A 240 volt subpanel? If so how do I do it? If not then is there any subpanel that will support this conversion?
d_skutnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Floor Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_skutnik View Post
Can I take my old dryer 10/2 wire on a 30A double pole breaker and convert it to a 30A 240 volt subpanel? If so how do I do it? If not then is there any subpanel that will support this conversion?
10/2 wire was illegal to use for the dryer to start with. What kinds of loads do you want to power with the subpanel? xx/2 wire will only support 120 volts only, or 240 volts only, not both at the same time. If you wanted to power 240 volt only loads, it is possible, but I don't recommend it. The reason is the next person comes along and adds a 120 volt circuit to it without knowing that there is no nuetral available, and now you have nuetral current on the ground wire. It is probably best to replace it with a 3 conductor (plus ground) cable. First, tell us what you want to power with the subpanel.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #3

No you cannot, you need 10/3 wire because you need 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground. There are many other requirements for sub panels, there is the factor of voltage drop.

What you could do is use this as a heavy load circuit, for a 20 amp outlet, or use it for 240 volt loads, like welders, wells, compressors, pumps, etc.
It CANNOT be used for the dryer anymore, it has to be changed to 10/3
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:

Can't do it sorry. For a panel you need two hots a neutral and ground. You would have to run a four wire. Since its a sub panel you need to seperate the neutrals and grounds.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkcollector View Post
10/2 wire was illegal to use for the dryer to start with. What kinds of loads do you want to power with the subpanel? xx/2 wire will only support 120 volts only, or 240 volts only, not both at the same time. If you wanted to power 240 volt only loads, it is possible, but I don't recommend it. The reason is the next person comes along and adds a 120 volt circuit to it without knowing that there is no nuetral available, and now you have nuetral current on the ground wire. It is probably best to replace it with a 3 conductor (plus ground) cable. First, tell us what you want to power with the subpanel.

I am planning on putting a master bedroom/bath addition on in the future(6 circuits). I obviously wont be able to do this with the wire but is there any other good use for this wire now that I have a gas dryer.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Floor Sweeper

Quote:
I am planning on putting a master bedroom/bath addition on in the future(6 circuits). I obviously wont be able to do this with the wire but is there any other good use for this wire now that I have a gas dryer.
You could convert it to an individual branch circuit for the gas dryer or washer by changing out the 30 amp two pole breaker to a 20 amp single one (reconnecting the white to the nuetral bus in the panel) then install a 120 volt receptacle at the dryer location. Where is the gas dryer currently plugged into? If either one of those is piggybacked with another circuit like lighting or such (not on the laundry circuit) I think this would be a great use for the cable.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkcollector View Post
You could convert it to an individual branch circuit for the gas dryer or washer by changing out the 30 amp two pole breaker to a 20 amp single one (reconnecting the white to the nuetral bus in the panel) then install a 120 volt receptacle at the dryer location. Where is the gas dryer currently plugged into? If either one of those is piggybacked with another circuit like lighting or such (not on the laundry circuit) I think this would be a great use for the cable.
how about a GFCI?
Thanks for all the help
Old 10-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Can I take my old dryer 10/2 wire on a 30A double pole breaker and convert it to a 30A 240 volt subpanel?

Of course you can.

You can convert it to a 120 panel too.

You can't convert it to a 120/240 panel though.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote