Installing Spotlights? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Installing spotlights?


Hi there I am looking to install spotlights in a kitchen. the switching and single light are there so I can extend the cabling to each spotlights. the plastering of the ceiling is getting done after I go and I was wondering what you think would be the best way to tackle installing these spotlights either to feed the cables across using a snake and taking notches outof ceiling when a joist is in the way or take floorboards off above?

Advertisement

eddyg2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Installing spotlights?


Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyg2007 View Post
Hi there I am looking to install spotlights in a kitchen. the switching and single light are there so I can extend the cabling to each spotlights. the plastering of the ceiling is getting done after I go and I was wondering what you think would be the best way to tackle installing these spotlights either to feed the cables across using a snake and taking notches outof ceiling when a joist is in the way or take floorboards off above?
You can't hold off on the plaster until the lights are in? that way you could just unscrew the sheetrock and be good...

I have pulled up floorboards before to run lights, and it all depends on the situation. I had to pull up 110 year old 1" hemlock boards, and alot of them started to split and had to be replaced. But, the room I was pulling up floor boards was already gutted so I had easy access.

Advertisement

__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Installing spotlights?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
You can't hold off on the plaster until the lights are in? that way you could just unscrew the sheetrock and be good...

what you mean?


I have pulled up floorboards before to run lights, and it all depends on the situation. I had to pull up 110 year old 1" hemlock boards, and alot of them started to split and had to be replaced. But, the room I was pulling up floor boards was already gutted so I had easy access.
yeah i prefer floorboards unless its wooden flooring your stuck
eddyg2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
YID
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Installing spotlights?


I would snake and drill through the joists (not notch). Then you can screw that piece of drywall back in that you cut out.

Way faster.... usually.... though I'm never the "drywaller" too, when I do it
YID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Installing spotlights?


Quote:
Originally Posted by YID View Post
I would snake and drill through the joists (not notch). Then you can screw that piece of drywall back in that you cut out.

Way faster.... usually.... though I'm never the "drywaller" too, when I do it
How can you drill the joists if they are not possible to get to with the drill??
eddyg2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Installing spotlights?


Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyg2007 View Post
How can you drill the joists if they are not possible to get to with the drill??
There are long flexible drill bits (4 ft i think). I have never used one, but i assume that you would cut a hole in the rock, stick in the flexible bit and drill as far as you can, then cut another hole, etc. I have seen alot of the guys here mention using them, so I'm sure they will chime in.
__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Installing spotlights?


I'd cut and patch the plaster around the joists.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Installing spotlights?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
I'd cut and patch the plaster around the joists.
yeah that seems like the better idea

Advertisement

eddyg2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing an island on floating engineered wood floor funktional Flooring 11 03-14-2008 07:19 AM
Installing T&G birch ceiling NeedHelp Building & Construction 6 12-29-2007 09:09 AM
Installing Quarter Round shanmon Flooring 4 07-19-2007 01:59 PM
Installing Corner Countertops on a corner that is not square? tjandt Remodeling 10 12-30-2005 11:26 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts