Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing Sconce between electrical panels

I am putting a theater area in my basement, but my electrical panels are also in the same room. To keep the room symmetrical, it would look best to install the new panel two stud bays over and put the sconce in between - then it would match with the sconce on the other side. I can't put the sconce on the other side further back because of a doorway. I plan to paint the panels the same color as the walls so they blend a little better.

Anyhow, I attached a picture of the proposed layout. The sconce sticks about 5 inches out from the wall. Will the inspector approve such a setup? I should still be able to access the panels without an issue, but don't want to do something against code, or stupid in some way.

Thanks!
Attached Images

danielrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 50

With the box therer, only way to know, is if your area requires permits and inspections, and how bad of a day he is having. If it was me, I wouldn't place between two panels. That is just me.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
danielrg (12-29-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #3

What do you mean the sconces will stick out 5"? The fixure it's self?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 4

As long as the 30" width can be met I don't see an issue. The 30" does not need to be centered on the panels.
danielrg (12-29-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #5

Thanks so far everyone.

Answering Julius' question - yes the fixture sticks out 5" from the wall.

After a little more measurement, I updated the picture. Both panels should be able to have their access doors open completely without hitting the fixture.

Right now, the panel is where the sconce will be, in the bay next to the original panel. I would actually have to move it over one bay (fairly easy - the panel's empty right now)

The other option is just to put the sconce to the left of both panels - it would be 16 inches further back in the room than the one on the other side (see theater plan). I have to decide if that's okay with my OCD side - then I don't have to move the panel either.

What would you do - from a safety/inspection/code standpoint?

BTW, either way I would be able to have 30" for each panel if I could offset the 30" to the right/left, referring to Jim's comment.
Attached Images

Last edited by danielrg; 12-28-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Personally, I would not place the panels in the room, nor would I place the sconce in between them. That is just my view point.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
danielrg (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #7

Thanks for your comments everyone. I am kind of leaning away from putting the sconce in between panels. I don't have a choice about panel location - the existing panel has always been there and can't be moved - the new panel can't really go anywhere else in our small basement - plus it is already installed. Moving it one bay would be trivial - but to another part of basement would be much harder.

Any other thoughts?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Master Electrician

There should be absolutely no issue with your proposed sconce placement.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

daniel, how large is that space overall? Are the walls already up for the whole space? The only problem that I am seeing with those panels, is sound reverb, which could change the sound in the space, unless you are going to place sound absorb panels over both to help stop the metal changing the tune of the room.

There are other guys that have done home theaters that post over at avsforum.com and they may have some ideas also as to what to do, if the code enforcer does not like it.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your help. I ran this by the local code enforcer and he is just fine with the plan to put the sconce between panels.

I didn't have a choice as to where the panels, or my home theater would be. Every other place in my basement would be worse. One panel is already there from when the house was built, so I couldn't move it. I wanted to put the new panel near the old one, plus I couldn't find a better location for it anyway...

Last edited by danielrg; 04-25-2012 at 04:46 PM.