Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

Share |

Installing recessed lighting into bedroom with bx

Hello all. New to this forum. Looking for some help re: installing recessed lighting in my bedroom ceiling. I have a pre-existing switch connected to an outlet, which I would like to use as the switch for the new recessed lighting.
My dilemma is that I am unsure of how to connect the new romex to the existing BX. Ideally, I would like to have it set up so that the existing switch controls the new recessed lights, but not the old outlet.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a pic of the switch with existing wires connected. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing recessed lighting into bedroom with bx-image.jpg  
Gee rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

There is no way from that picture anyone can give a good answer. You need to identify if the power feed is to the switch or to the receptacle.

You also need to identify if the circuit has a compliant ground. If you do not have a compliant ground, you can not extend the circuit.

If you do not know how to answer these questions, you need to hire a professional.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #3

Those wires look pretty beat up. If it were me I would replace what is there with all new cable.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamo
Those wires look pretty beat up. If it were me I would replace what is there with all new cable.
Lol. Yea,that's MUCH easier said then done!
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee rock
Hello all. New to this forum. Looking for some help re: installing recessed lighting in my bedroom ceiling. I have a pre-existing switch connected to an outlet, which I would like to use as the switch for the new recessed lighting.
My dilemma is that I am unsure of how to connect the new romex to the existing BX. Ideally, I would like to have it set up so that the existing switch controls the new recessed lights, but not the old outlet.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a pic of the switch with existing wires connected. Thanks.
Can't really tell buy the pic but it appears that there is a blk and white connected to the switch witch generally indicates a switch loop meaning the power is at the outlet. If that is the case I do not think its possible to power the lights from that switch.
The pros will be along soon to tell you whats what.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #6

I am not a licensed electrician, but have to ask, how do you plan and how many lights do you plan on installing?

Here flat roofs are common, is no attic access. We can use remodel cans and reach the wire to loop them together and use existing light switch wiring.

Now if you have a attic, your job is much easier. You can still use remodel cans, run your wiring upstairs, bring it over to the wall and drill through the top plate and drop it down to a new hole in wall you cut for a remodel box for the new light switch.

Question now is, how will you get power to that new light switch?
Is possible to just remove the existing box by cutting a bigger hole and rewire it and use that power source. Without knowing what load is already on that circuit, I can not suggest you add the 8 new can lights to it. But it "might" be fine.

You may find a better circuit in the attic with less load on it that you can install a junction box and run the power wire with it to the switch in the same new hole you drilled for the new light switch box.
Maybe your main wiring is in the crawl space, can junction from there and drill up through the floor and run power to the new switch.

Is no way to safely suggest over the internets, how to power the new switch with no info on what you have now.
But you can run all new wiring to it, you are not stuck with just the 1 power wire you have now.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Can't really tell buy the pic but it appears that there is a blk and white connected to the switch witch generally indicates a switch loop meaning the power is at the outlet. If that is the case I do not think its possible to power the lights from that switch.
The pros will be along soon to tell you whats what.
If the power is at the recep. You can use the switch loop (reconfigured) to send unswitched power to the swich box.

The real question is do you have a (compliant) ground?