Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Wounded Mathematician
 
shtoink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Left Coast, Canuckistan
Posts: 60
Share |
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


Hi

I am re-wiring my kitchen and in order to bring it up to code, I need to install a couple of 20A GFCI receptacles on a peninsula section of kitchen base cabinets that extends perpendicular to the wall. The kitchen sink is also in the middle of this section of cabinetry.

I want to put one receptacle box inside the sink base cabinet with the receptacle accessible from the back side of the peninsula.

The other receptacle is tricky. At the end of the peninsula there is a section of cabinet with a stack of drawers. The drawers are not quite as deep as the cabinet so there is about a 3 inch space at the back of the drawers inside the cabinet which could accommodate a box for a receptacle that would also be accessible from the back of the peninsula.

Can anyone see any good reason why I should not do this? Is there anything in the code that would prevent me from installing these?

I assume I could just run BX cable up from the crawlspace through the floor and through the bottom of the cabinets to feed these receptacles.

Thanks
__________________
The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.
G.K. Chesterton
shtoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


I know nothing about your situation but I love your location. Would that be Vancouver, BC?
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Wounded Mathematician
 
shtoink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Left Coast, Canuckistan
Posts: 60
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


Yes I am in Vancouver. The house in question is actually on Gabriola Island.
__________________
The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.
G.K. Chesterton
shtoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


I can answer your code question for USA applications, but the CEC may be different. Hopefully someone can assist!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Wounded Mathematician
 
shtoink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Left Coast, Canuckistan
Posts: 60
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I can answer your code question for USA applications, but the CEC may be different. Hopefully someone can assist!
I'd be interested in knowing what the US code is. I will eventually be speaking with an inspector here, but I was wondering if I should even consider trying to put a box in the cabinet space behind the drawers. I have another option for the location of this receptacle, but it is less desirable.

I believe the Canadian code is based on the NEC, so it's probably the same rule in this case. I intend to confirm this before proceeding with the work.
__________________
The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.
G.K. Chesterton
shtoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


In the US, you can install a receptacle anywhere you want, except over a bath/shower space.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,543
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by shtoink View Post
I'd be interested in knowing what the US code is. I will eventually be speaking with an inspector here, but I was wondering if I should even consider trying to put a box in the cabinet space behind the drawers. I have another option for the location of this receptacle, but it is less desirable.

I believe the Canadian code is based on the NEC, so it's probably the same rule in this case. I intend to confirm this before proceeding with the work.

You need to use the Canadian code anyways.

210.52(B)(3) Kitchen Receptacle Requirements.

Receptacles installed in a kitchen to serve countertop surfaces shall be supplied by not fewer than two small-appliance branch circuits,either or both of which shall also be permitted to supply receptacle outlets in the same kitchen and in other rooms specifired in 210.52(B)(1). Additional small-appliance branch circuits shall be permitted to supply receptacles outlets in the kitchen and other rooms specified in 210.52(B)(1). No small-appliance branch circuit shall serve more than one kitchen.

Id suggest a further reading in atricle 210 for even more information.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
In the US, you can install a receptacle anywhere you want, except over a bath/shower space.
Sure you can (except face-up on the counter), but not all locations will count as required receptacles serving the countertop.

Can you put a receptacle inside a cabinet behind the drawers? Sure. If you want to. Will it count? No.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Sure you can (except face-up on the counter), but not all locations will count as required receptacles serving the countertop.

Can you put a receptacle inside a cabinet behind the drawers? Sure. If you want to. Will it count? No.
I know... It seemed to me the OP was asking if the location itself was cool, not if the location was going to meet the required kitchen receptacle requirements.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shtoink View Post

Can anyone see any good reason why I should not do this? Is there anything in the code that would prevent me from installing these?

I assume I could just run BX cable up from the crawlspace through the floor and through the bottom of the cabinets to feed these receptacles.

Thanks

Last edited by chris75; 10-15-2008 at 05:29 PM.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
DIY'r
 
ScottR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hicksville, NY (Yes, it's an actual town).
Posts: 520
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


Quote:
Can you put a receptacle inside a cabinet behind the drawers? Sure. If you want to. Will it count? No.
Just for my edification (and maybe the OP's too), why wouldn't it count? Would the receptacle have to be on the end of the peninsula?

Wait, you're not thinking that the OP meant the receptacles would be accessible from inside the cab. behind the drawers, right?

Quote:
there is about a 3 inch space at the back of the drawers inside the cabinet which could accommodate a box for a receptacle that would also be accessible from the back of the peninsula
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
Wounded Mathematician
 
shtoink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Left Coast, Canuckistan
Posts: 60
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets



Haha!

Well, my question was really whether code would allow a receptacle to be mounted in the back of a drawer cabinet (facing outwards of course), and if so, whether there were any good reasons not to. Since this is a 7 ft long peninsula, I intend for it to be on one of the 20A circuits servicing the countertop (there is no wall behind it). I have just done a little research and I believe the code states that the receptacle cannot be lower than 12" below the countertop surface and the countertop overhang cannot exceed 6".

Thanks everyone!
__________________
The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.
G.K. Chesterton
shtoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by shtoink View Post



I believe the code states that the receptacle cannot be lower than 12" below the countertop surface and the countertop overhang cannot exceed 6".

Thanks everyone!

It sure does, but thats for the REQUIRED receptacle, nothing is going to stop you from installing another receptacle someplace else.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


I misunderstood the drawer thing...I was thinking you were going to install it IN the cabinet, not through the faceframe accessible from the kitchen.

So...

Yes, a receptacle can be installed in the faceframe of the cabinet, no less than 12" below the countertop, and not under an overhang exceeding 6". That is, if there is no other option to mount it above the counter at a height not exceeding 18".

Some inspectors might make a case for requiring the receptacle to be accessible from the kitchen side, not an adjoining room.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #14
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Installing receptacles in kitchen base cabinets


Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post

Some inspectors might make a case for requiring the receptacle to be accessible from the kitchen side, not an adjoining room.

Just out of curiosity, what code section would they cite?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing kitchen wall cabinets higher than spec recommendation? alexz General DIY Discussions 14 07-20-2008 11:32 PM
Installing Kitchen cabinets help helpless handyman Carpentry 16 07-07-2007 06:12 AM
My Kitchen Floor-Problems!!! Please Help!!! Fat b Flooring 3 01-25-2007 03:21 PM
installing kitchen cabinets ncoppola09 Carpentry 9 01-06-2007 09:07 PM
Kitchen Cabinets and Walls ththomps Remodeling 4 09-18-2006 10:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.