Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing pot lights

I want to put pot lights in my ceiling once it is done and I am wondering if there are some tips on installing them. I see on programs that the installers cut out the pot through the drywall perfectly but I don't know how to go about finding the right spot after the drywall is up

billybarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

Installing pot lights

Put up the lights BEFORE the drywall.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Installing pot lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
Put up the lights BEFORE the drywall.
Uhhh yeah.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2

Installing pot lights

Yep that will help!!!

If your bent on doing it the hard way

You need to run your wiring close the pot locations you want then leave about 6 feet extra. Making a mark on the floor sometimes helps. When the ceiling is finished use a circle cutter to make the appropriate size hole for an old work pot installation. Do not get too close to the ceiling joists with your locations. Reach in and grab your wire. But seriously do as househelper says it will save you a big headache.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #5

Installing pot lights

I plan on putting the lights up before the drywall but then don't I have to have the holes cut in the drywall before I put the drywall up? Or can I put the lights in, put up the drywall and then cut the holes from the attic?
Old 03-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #6

Installing pot lights

You cut the holes either before you put the rock up or AS you are putting it up.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2

Installing pot lights

Stay out of the attic.....

A professional drywaller will put the drywall up and then cut around the cans with a cutout tool ...you can call it a rotozip if you want some use routers. He does the same thing for ceiling boxes and receptacle and switch boxes. Trying to measure and cut will work but is prone to errors. Using a cutout tool will take a little practice but your hole will be perfectly around the can no big gaps or miss measurements. You might go to the rotozip site (their drywall tool is the dr-1)and view a few videos on how these tools are used to cut out around cans and other electrical boxes.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #8

Installing pot lights

I assume you mean recessaed cans, not metal halide refer lighting.

A stud finder, measuring tape and logic will get you 85% of they way there. A bit of luck will take you the rest of the way.

Lay out with light pencil marks or masking tape and probe the drywall with a scratch awl or a long skinny screwdrive at four sides of the circle. Stick a stiff wire up to verify height.

Watch out for corner rooms with hip roofs. The framing changes direction down the center, diagonally.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #9

Installing pot lights

This is the DIY chatroom, right? I'm not having a professional drywaller do it. What I need to know is, if I stay out of the attic and I have the lights and drywall installed, how do I determine where the lights are located so I can zip around them when the drywall is already up.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #10

Installing pot lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybarty View Post
....if I stay out of the attic and I have the lights and drywall installed, how do I determine where the lights are located so I can zip around them when the drywall is already up.
I can't understand why this even has to be asked.
You measure.

Am I missing something else?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #11

Installing pot lights

This is goin' be good.
Get out the lawn chairs.
JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #12

Installing pot lights

C'mon. The dude's only 3' tall. I can take him no problem.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
When is fishing season?

Installing pot lights

Quote:
This is the DIY chatroom, right? I'm not having a professional drywaller do it. What I need to know is, if I stay out of the attic and I have the lights and drywall installed, how do I determine where the lights are located so I can zip around them when the drywall is already up.
Get a sheet of paper and draw a rough diagram of the room. Measure to each light. Take measurements the side of the light closest to the wall, center of the light and outer edge of the light. mark the location on the paper. Do this from 2 walls to create an x from the measurements from the 2 seperate walls.

Once the rock is up, reference your paper as to where the lights are.

For a first timer, if you dont have the oppertunity to practice cutting out aroung the fixtures and boxes, then use a good drywall saw. Take it slowly and you shoudl come out with minimal issues.

No offense to some of the regulars here, but it seems sometimes you forget that there are people out there that may not have the skills or knowledge to do something, but still want to do it themselves. That's how we learn. The guidance from people who do this everyday is helpful. Sometimes we may not express ourselves in terminology that you may not be used to hearing. I perfectly understood that he meant he didn't know how to find the lights after the drywall is up because that's probably how I would have phrased it too.

I (and many others) appriciate all the knowledge you guys bring to this place, but sometimes simple questions that would be a no brainer for you are not for other people.

Not picking a fight, just sayin...
Old 03-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #14

Installing pot lights

Quote:
You need to cut them out AS the drywall is being installed. Tack the edges of the sheet up, mark the approx. center of the light on the sheet, zip the lights out(counterclockwise), and then fasten the rest of the sheet.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
Licensed Pro

Installing pot lights

Quote:
Put a mark on the floor directly under the center of each can. Use a plumb bob to determine the exact point on the floor. After the drywall is tacked in place, use the mark on the floor and the plumb bob to find the center of the light. Make your cutout, then finish attaching the drywall sheet.
A laser level makes this even easier.