Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing a POT ADSL splitter

I bought the Wilcom PS-32 and was making sure my installation is correct. Do I just connect the blue and blue/white to the "line" then have ATU-R go to the modem and I have the PHONE line going to a hub.

http://www.amazon.com/Steren-FastHom...=telephone+hub

This is the splitter Im using http://www.wilcominc.com/Item.cfm?ProdID=102

Is it ok to connect the DSL line to the telephone hub?
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a POT ADSL splitter-20130418_190741.jpg   Installing a POT ADSL splitter-20130418_190751.jpg  

word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 92

As long as it works, and does not drop Internet when you pick up the phone, you did it okay.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #3

Yup, that's all you have to do. I have the same splitter and it connects to a distribution block for the phone jacks. ATU-R goes to the modem.
AandPDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #4

So I connect the blue and blue/white wire from the telephone companies side to the "LINE" or do I need to make a run with cat5 from the red and green bolt to "LINE?" Does it matter which pair of wiring I use for the DSL line?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #5

The left side of the NID is for the telephone company. You shouldn't even be in there.

Your connections are on the right side of the NID, the red/green screws that you see.

If you want to run a new line to those screws go ahead. If using Cat 5, the standard color code for the 1st telephone line would be the blue and blue/white pair. Connect them to the "line" on your splitter.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #6

Ok that makes sense. So from there I should have 2 separate cat5 wires one for DSL and the other for VOICE. Is it ok to terminate the voice in lets say the blue pair and the dsl in the green pair? I was hoping my hub would allow me to do this. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

Are you installing the splitter in the NID?

Usually you run a line into the house, directly into the splitter. From there you run a line (or just plug in) your DSL modem. You then run another line from the splitter to your phone "hub."
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #8

Your "hub" should be internally wired. You only need two of the lines.

Cat 5 - blue/white = old GREEN (TIP)
Cat 5 - blue = OLD RED (RING)

You should try to minimize connections on the ATU-R side. Run a wire to it directly.

Something like this:

Last edited by AandPDan; 11-11-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #9

You want to run a CAT5 from the Telco Network Interface to the input on your splitter. From that point run a CAT5 to your DSL modem. It must be a dedicated isolated line, not one used for anything else. Run the telephones from the station screws on your splitter to your telephones. All lines should be home runs, not some rat's nest splice job. Never run another wire from an existing telco block in the house somewhere. It creates repair issues and is impossible to troubleshoot later without going crazy.

The green (Tip) and the (RED Ring..Voltage) should correspond with the white/blue (tip) and blue/white (ring). They are the same beginning sequence of different era cabling. So, BLUE, ORANGE, GREEN, BROWN is the correct sequencing of the remaining wires in the CAT5. So next would be white/orange (tip), orange/white (ring), etc. Each separate pair can be used for different things, for example the blue pair can be used for data and the orange pair for regular telephone service.

You can multiple the telephone lines for just plain telephones all the way to the Filter.

I rewired my son's house in Colorado when I visited. He had a rat's nest mess with splices everywhere. He also had DSL service that was limping, dropping connections and really slow. Data needs ONE path to the DSL modem without splice legs to function correctly. Otherwise you get reflection of the signal and poor or no service.

His internet is flying now with no issues. I was a telco guy for 30 years.
db3058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #10

Ok thanks for the tips guys. So from the splitter is a dedicated line to the modem. Is it ok to have a run for the dsl line to a rj 11 jack? Then connect the modem with regular phone wire? The splitter I purchased doesn't have jacks to terminate on. I guess I could just return it and get the indoor PS-36 Wilcom model.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2yamutha
Ok thanks for the tips guys. So from the splitter is a dedicated line to the modem. Is it ok to have a run for the dsl line to a rj 11 jack? Then connect the modem with regular phone wire? The splitter I purchased doesn't have jacks to terminate on. I guess I could just return it and get the indoor PS-36 Wilcom model.
Yep that's how they did mine years ago. Dedicated dsl line to the inside from the outside panel. No need for filters on phones.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #12

The filter is so you don't have to place dsl filters on every telephone jack in the house.
db3058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2yamutha View Post
Yes, you can run a line to an RJ-11 jack.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 92

Now of course, the only thing that I can think of, if you are in an area that gets a lot of lightning strikes, is maybe pay the $39 for the L-Com DSL Surge Protector http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector...rge-protectors They make them for CATV & Satellite also. We do not get very many lightning strikes, but I have been thinking about one for the DSL line, due to we have problems with fuzzy tailed tree rats causing power outages, and have had a surge or two.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #15

The dsl splitter I have comes with a surge protector as well. Better safe then sorry I always say.