Installing Outlet...please Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Weekend Warrior

Rewards Points: 25

Installing outlet...please help

Existing wiring was found right where I am installing a new outlet and is preventing the new outlet box from being positioned correctly. I do not want to change the outlet location. My plan is to deenergize the existing circuit, temporarily protect the Romex from abrasion, and then hog out the pass-through hole in the stud to allow the wiring to drop down ~1". The box can then be mounted flush with the drywall.

What can I use to protect the Romex while I am drilling the hole bigger? I am thinking of holding the wire up, inserting a small piece of metal (like a kick plate trimmed to fit in the opening) just below the wire, and then safely drilling the hole. Any other ideas?

Advertisement

H2O Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

You could either raise the new box location to clear the wires, necessitating some minor patching, or if you have 2" of clearance use a box like the Carlon shown here: http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/9490079

The problem with trying to enlarge the hole is if you do nick the wires, you have increased your problems greatly.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,910

I would drill a hole just below the cable but not touching the current hole. Then take and chisel out the wood between the two holes.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
R_T

Consider that there may be another cable, a pipe, a duct on the other side of that stud.

It is also possible that the cable you see turns down and is stapled close to the other side of the stud.

At the very least you should anticipate what may be in the next bay by looking at both sides of the walls on that floor and any floors above and below.

Then I would use a standard dill bit with a relatively non-pointed end to poke a pilot hole. Mark the depth of the stud on your bit.
R_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
R_T

duh....

You can probably rule out the pipe or duct possibilities by sticking something through the existing hole. That doesn't rule out another wire stapled to the stud.

I might not be too sharp this morning.
R_T is offline   Reply With Quote