Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Share |

Installing OTR microwave but no electrical outlet in upper cabinet

Hello,
I have an OTR microwave but right now I have no electrical outlet in the upper cabinet. I was planning to drill through the side cabinets and use an extension cord to reach the nearest electrical socket. Was wondering if that is a good plan or should I get an electrician to install an electrical socket in the upper cabinet?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

Not sure where you're located, and I am not an electrician, but in Canada when I installed an OTR microwave(GE) the code was an OTR microwave required a dedicated circuit (15amp). But a stand on the counter microwave could be plugged into a kitchen receptacle. So, here, you'd require a dedicated circuit. But the code may be different for your location.

Last edited by orange; 09-15-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Moved to Electrical forum.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Resi EC

Best thing would be to get a licensed electrician to install a circuit for the microwave
The Following User Says Thank You to Gac66610 For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (09-16-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #5

dont use an extension cord for a permanent load, especially a high draw appliance
Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

You are going to need to install a new dedicated circuit from the panel.

Do not use the extension cord.
Speedy Petey (09-16-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilsurendran View Post
Hello,
I have an OTR microwave but right now I have no electrical outlet in the upper cabinet. I was planning to drill through the side cabinets and use an extension cord to reach the nearest electrical socket. Was wondering if that is a good plan or should I get an electrician to install an electrical socket in the upper cabinet?
Sure, go right ahead. It is your butt, and not anyone else's, when it goes up in flames.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Sure, go right ahead. It is your butt, and not anyone else's, when it goes up in flames.
Est-ce que vous êtes sérieux ?

( are you serious ? )

The OTR microwave unit will required it own circuit anyway. This useally mention in the owner manual or installment sheet.

Merci,
Marc
Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #9

Right now I have the OTR microwave plugged into a wall socket and have been using it for a few days and none of the breakers have tripped. So why would it be a problem if I plug it into a wall socket in the kitchen.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilsurendran View Post
Right now I have the OTR microwave plugged into a wall socket and have been using it for a few days and none of the breakers have tripped. So why would it be a problem if I plug it into a wall socket in the kitchen.
I can already see where this is going.

A breaker will not trip and your house will not burn down the instant you plug the thing in. This is a long term problem and the main problem is with the extension cord going through cabinets. Also the fact that you are plugging in a larger fixed appliance to a wall or counter circuit.

I get the impression that it works now so you think everything is fine and nothing bad will happened. You can think this and will probably do what you want anyway, but please know that the others here are absolutely CORRECT. You NEED a dedicated properly sized circuit in the cabinet above the micro/hood. This is the ONLY safe, proper and legal solution.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (09-16-2012), Jim Port (09-16-2012), kevinp22 (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Est-ce que vous êtes sérieux ?

( are you serious ? )

The OTR microwave unit will required it own circuit anyway. This useally mention in the owner manual or installment sheet.

Merci,
Marc
Marc, it is called Sarcasm.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #12

Hey I got to agree with these other fellers about just putting in a new circuit. It is the only right way to do it. But having resorted to many an act of disregard for the accepted convention myself I can understand your position. If I were hell bent on using the extension cord I would only use one rated for the same current as the breaker on that circuit. And I would check to see if Green Acres type precautions were needed such as never running the microwave while the coffee pot was on or the toaster was in use. Newer microwaves don't chug as much juice as they used to and you may get lucky and have no serious issues.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Hey I got to agree with these other fellers about just putting in a new circuit. It is the only right way to do it. But having resorted to many an act of disregard for the accepted convention myself I can understand your position. If I were hell bent on using the extension cord I would only use one rated for the same current as the breaker on that circuit. And I would check to see if Green Acres type precautions were needed such as never running the microwave while the coffee pot was on or the toaster was in use. Newer microwaves don't chug as much juice as they used to and you may get lucky and have no serious issues.

I don' think we should encourage posters to disregard code and safety issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (09-16-2012), kevinp22 (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #14

Goto your hardware store get a 120 volt cord for a microwave. There are some that are made specifically for microwaves. You do not need a dedicated circuit as a otr microwave does not have any more wattage than an on the counter microwaves
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.nowak View Post
You do not need a dedicated circuit as a otr microwave does not have any more wattage than an on the counter microwaves
WRONG!
Please learn the codes before posting electrical advice to this board.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Code05 (09-16-2012), electures (09-16-2012), frenchelectrican (09-16-2012), jbfan (09-21-2012), kevinp22 (09-16-2012), Missouri Bound (09-20-2012), Oso954 (09-20-2012), rjniles (09-16-2012), stickboy1375 (09-16-2012), Techy (09-20-2012)
Closed Thread