Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

installing new wall plug

Hello Everyone!

I want to install a light in my closet which I will plug my portable cabinet lights (like under the cabinet lights) into.

The existing wall plug on the outside wall is a few inches apart from the place I intend to place the closet plug (inside). When I opened the existing plug, I noticed both the upper and lower connectors are occupied.

I understand I need to remove the metal outlet box and punch a hole in the bottom or side to draw the wires to the new outlet. I saw in my "book" I should pigtail the ground wires, but do I need to pigtail the hot and neutral?

What is the purpose of the bottom hot and neutral on the original plug? Could I have a split circuit? (yes, I've been reading) or is that what you call middle run?

Thanking you in advance.

Last edited by momof2labs; 08-14-2011 at 02:25 PM.
momof2labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Electrician

installing new wall plug

If the tabs on the sides of the receptacle that connect the screws together are still intact, then it would be a ‘middle of the run’ as you called it, not a split receptacle. When you have 3 cables in a box, you’ll have to make ‘pigtail’ jumpers (of appropriate colors and wire size) for all 3 colors to attach to the receptacle. The purpose of 2 screws on each side is to allow incoming and outgoing wires to be attached quickly without additional materials. Most of the receptacles in an average house will have an incoming and a outgoing.

Another note, just be sure the receptacle you’re pulling power from isn’t a kitchen, bath or laundry receptacle circuit. Not allowed by code to feed your proposed closet receptacle.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #3

Talking

installing new wall plug

Thanks, Kyle
I wanted to be sure before I take any steps to change the existing configuration. I have a great respect for electricity ... and rightly so! This circuit is not connected to the kitchen - only lighting. Many thanks for taking the time to read and understand my question.

Donna in Fairfax, VA
momof2labs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding new wall plug