DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing a new panelboard in my house

5K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  busman 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone. I want to install a new panelboard with a main disconnect.
The house is rented. This is my plan.
Gather all the outlets and lighting in each room.
Multiply all receptacles by 180 watts and lighting by 75
watts. Total all the watts for the entire house.
Divide all watts by 240 volts in order to get amperes.

The total amperes is the size of panel board.
STEP 1. have DWP cutt-off all light.
STEP 2. Get a permit from the city
STEP 3. Borrow electricity from a neighbor in meantime
STEP 4. Install Panelboard
STEP 5. Have DWP reconnect electrical.
PLEASE tell any advice of any kind or any suggestions. I am sure
many of you have a lot of experience in this.Thank You in advance.

See less See more
#7 ·
As an owner of a rental in my area, you must use an electrical contractor to do this job.
If you own the house, and live in the house, you would be allowed to do this work.

Is the reason for the upgrade a safety issue?
You could put them up in a hotel over night.

#12 ·
rjhrjt elecrtical contractor

Please allow me to be blunt. Based on the way you wrote up your missive, i am convinced that this project is way over your head! Do your self a favor and avoid getting either electrocuted or burning your house down. Go out and hire a licensed & insured electricial contractor.

#13 ·
Instakking a panelboard.

Thanks for the responses and thanks for the load calculator website.
I have a book "Electrical Wiring Residential" for reference. In theory, I can
do it myself, but I have to hire a licensed electrical contractor.Once, the
DWP cut the power from the pole, then it is easy to install the main
disconnect and the panel board with the circuit breakers.

#14 ·
Gabriel, in my jurisdiction you can face CRIMINAL penalties for doing the electrical work yourself and renting your property without the "licensed contractor" and the "inspection" or "permits". In all jurisdictions you will have to comply with all local requirements for renting your property.

- It is your responsibility to keep electrical service operational while the property is occupied by a tenant. Failing to do so with diligence and without culpable delay can violate your landlord responsibility to keep the property in 'habitable' condition. From the consensus on the site, I'd say that would be anything more than a day. But in most places that's up to a court to decide.

- Your tenants can ask the court to rescind their lease if the property is uninhabitable. They may also withhold rent (via rent escrow) until you comply with the laws.

If I was your tenant I wouldn't let you do the work either. Why would they agree to this? Would you agree to live in an unsafe house? Who knows when you'd get the power back on, or if you did it in compliance with local building and electrical codes. I'd also report you to local tenant right's organizations and local prosecuting attorney.

Sorry about the rant, but it is really wrong to do un-permitted electrical work when other people's lives are at stake.

#15 ·
Gabriel24.,

I don't think I will add any more comment due other members here allready gave you the straght answer by State Law if you do not live in the building you own you MUST hire a electrician there is no other way around with this code and law.

Please it much far less hassle just get Electrician to come out and deal with it.

For simuair set up as you describing that is anywhere from half to full day to work on this depending on the current set up and other situatation it will arise.

I want to give you a forewarn this not always be a easy task there is more than just a panel upgrading.

My simple rules .,,"" Attendez-vous l'inattendu "" it mean expect the unepected so be prepare for last minute change.

Merci,Marc

#18 ·
Any book is not good enough!!!! here let me put that in caps. IF YOU NEED TO TAKE ADVISE FROM A BOOK TO GET STARTED YOU ARE IN OVER YOU HEAD!!

Seriously tho you need to have some experience before working in a panel.

#19 ·
I agree 100%. I am very familiar with the book in question and it covers virtually nothing related to Service Grounding (one of the most important aspects of a service change). AND - if you need a book for this, you shouldn't be attempting it.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.