Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #1

Share |

Installing new outdoor receptable, any code reqs?

I'm looking to install an electrical box on the outside front of my townhouse. The exterior of the house is brick, so for simplicity's sake I'm just looking to drill a hole for the romex and install a surface mount box. The romex has already been run from the panel to the inside location where I need to punch the hole to the exterior, so that's set. It's 12-2 romex and plan to install a 20amp circuit w/ a GFCI receptacle.

Ok.. so my only big questions are what the code reqs are for a new receptacle? There is a water line/spigot in the vicinity of where I want to install the outlet, but are there code reqs in terms of how far the new box should be from the spigot? I was thinking a few feet would be a good idea, but not sure if there's a code req. Any other things I might be overlooking?

The outdoor receptacle will primarily be used for christmas lights, but it will be used occasionally for powering a pressure washer and vacuum.

NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #2

Drill the hole from the outside to the inside to prevent blowing out the brick.
I would use a piece of PVC where the wire runs through the wall.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
NewHomeDIYGuy (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Along with the GFI protection, you will need a weatherproof in use cover and the receptacle will need to be marked WR for weather resistant.
NewHomeDIYGuy (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Along with the GFI protection, you will need a weatherproof in use cover and the receptacle will need to be marked WR for weather resistant.
Thanks Joe and Jim.

I'll definitely be using a weatherproof "in use" cover, as to avoid water getting in when the christmas lights are plugged in. Is it now code to have in use electrical covers vs. the old non-weatherproof ones? I was never a big fan of the older ones w/ the flaps that cover the exposed contacts. I'll also caulk as needed around the top and sides of the box to prevent any water intrusion.
NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Special User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeDIYGuy View Post
Thanks Joe and Jim.

I'll definitely be using a weatherproof "in use" cover, as to avoid water getting in when the christmas lights are plugged in. Is it now code to have in use electrical covers vs. the old non-weatherproof ones? I was never a big fan of the older ones w/ the flaps that cover the exposed contacts.
If by "flaps" you mean external hinges that cover the whole receptacle, then my reading of NEC 408.8 is that "in use" bubble covers are only required in "wet" areas, whereas receptacles with just simple flaps are still acceptable in areas that are merely "damp". A "damp" area would be "under roofed open porches, canopies, marquees, and the like, and will not be subjected to a beating rain or water runoff."

I think 408.8 subsection B, 2, b also allows flaps in wet locations if the receptacle is only used while "attended" (such as using power tools), but I'm not sure.