Installing New Light Switch (NOT REPLACING AN EXSISTING ONE) - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2008, 01:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing New Light Switch (NOT REPLACING AN EXSISTING ONE)

My laundry room had only a bulb with a plastic diffuser and a pull chain. I have installed a nice fixture, however, the fixture needs a switch. The box that the origianl bulb was wired from has only a black and white wire (rather old wire, I might add) and I purchased regulation wire (one white, one black and a ground).

The switch has the black screw, copper screw and ground screw. I am at a complete loss, as I have tried to wire the switch from the old box only connected to the new fixture with a line running to the switch. (light is always on and breaker blows when I turn light off).

The second configuration I tried, which I thought was correct; wire from exsisting box to the switch and then back to the new fixture. The only way I could see this working was to put both white, both black and both ground wires on each of their respective screws. This caused a similar issue with the circuit breaker.

I'm open and willing to take any suggestions to make this work, including but not limited to starting from scratch. I know there must be a simple solution can anyone help?? I've obviously missed something here ...

Advertisement

Light Out on Hillsboro Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

If you have installed a new switch in the wall connect Black feed wire in light box to the black wire to the switch and the white wire to the other side of the switch to the light.The white wire in the light box hooks directly to the light. All you are doing is breaking the "hot" wire to the light. The ground wire is useless if there is no ground in the feeds to the light.

Advertisement

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
If you have installed a new switch in the wall connect Black feed wire in light box to the black wire to the switch and the white wire to the other side of the switch to the light.The white wire in the light box hooks directly to the light. All you are doing is breaking the "hot" wire to the light. The ground wire is useless if there is no ground in the feeds to the light.
Not right!

Connect the black wire in the ceiling to the white wire(and mark this with a piece of black tape) that goes to the switch. From the other side of the switch, connect the black wire to the black wire on the light fixture, and connect the white wire in the ceiling to the white wire of the fixture.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

It is right. He did not ask about code he ask to hook up a switch and what I told him will work. If you want to train them to be an electrician then explain that the current carrying conductors need to be marked with colored tape (not just black) and that the romex has to be stapled, if it is a metal box it must be bonded, etc. Life is getting to complicated. Make it simple if possible.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
It is right. He did not ask about code he ask to hook up a switch and what I told him will work. If you want to train them to be an electrician then explain that the current carrying conductors need to be marked with colored tape (not just black) and that the romex has to be stapled, if it is a metal box it must be bonded, etc. Life is getting to complicated. Make it simple if possible.
What color would you use for a switch leg?
Romex when fished through walls and ceilings not accessible require no support.
If it is a metal box feed with romex you ground the box and the device (EGC), not bond it.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,450

Black is your switched leg, but if you are adding a switch, it is going to be what Electricians call a "Suicide Switch". In other words, you will take the White leg on the Romex, and connect to one side of the Switch, then the Black to the other. At the Light, connect the Black leg from the Romex going to the Switch on the screw, then the White Leg, which has the Black Electricians tape on it so that the next "dummy" knows that it is Black, to the Black leg coming from the Romex going back to the Power Panel.

As for Asthetics, you can use Conduit, or Flat Electric channel to cover up the Romex from damage, along with a box that matches.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
It is very simple to do it correctly. Just as simple as doing it wrong. The problem with doing it the way you explained, is there would be two white wires connected to the light fixture and in the future someone may connect them incorrectly to make the screw shell hot. Doing the job the correct way, as jbfan laid out, gives you a black hot and a white neutral connected to the fixture. Also, inside the fixture box, a person in the future will clearly see a back wire connected to a white wire, a good indication that the white wire is being used as a hot wire whether it is taped or not.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Black is your switched leg, but if you are adding a switch, it is going to be what Electricians call a "Suicide Switch".
All the electricians I know call it a switch leg.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
Sparky

Rewards Points: 504

or 'switch loop'

but all the same, power to the switch is supposed to be the white
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy View Post
or 'switch loop'

but all the same, power to the switch is supposed to be the white

After 4 years it is the same!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Sparky

Rewards Points: 504

okay i need to start ignoring that similar threads deal down at the bottom wow

Advertisement

Techy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical , installing light switch , new wiring