Installing New Electrical Outlet - Vapour Barrier - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing New Electrical Outlet - Vapour Barrier

Im installing a new electrical outlet in my basement for a flat panel TV. The wall is an exterior wall and has vapour barrier and insulation behind it. My question is once I cut out the hole for the outlet and compromise the vaper barrier what do I do to make sure I have a good seal? Is this something I even need to be concerned about?

Also, I am using a surge protector outlet, is 14-2 wire what I need?

I want to make sure I do a thourough job and avoid any problems in the future.

Thanks

Advertisement

WhIsKeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

if possible wrap plastic around the back and sides of the electrical box and tape it all around to the plastic you cut. Cut the existing plastic with a X so you have plenty to work with in sealing it to the electrical box. But an easier way is to make the hole 1/4" larger and fill all the voids around the box and behind the box with spray foam. This will also give some vapor barrier protection. Seal the outlet at the surface with a foam pad made for this purpose that sits behind the cover plate. 14/2 is for a 15 amp circuit. It has no correlation to using a surge suppressor. It should be enough for the TV but this depends on what other equipment you may add. Best to use a separate 12/2 (20 amp) circuit.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
if possible wrap plastic around the back and sides of the electrical box and tape it all around to the plastic you cut. Cut the existing plastic with a X so you have plenty to work with in sealing it to the electrical box. But an easier way is to make the hole 1/4" larger and fill all the voids around the box and behind the box with spray foam. This will also give some vapor barrier protection. Seal the outlet at the surface with a foam pad made for this purpose that sits behind the cover plate. 14/2 is for a 15 amp circuit. It has no correlation to using a surge suppressor. It should be enough for the TV but this depends on what other equipment you may add. Best to use a separate 12/2 (20 amp) circuit.
Thank you so much for your quick response. I like the spray foam idea, wasnt sure how to do it or how it would react to the existing insulation.

As for the wire I will go with the 12/2 as you suggested, I am running from an existing plug below.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

if you are running from an existing plug then run the new wire using the same gauge. The breaker will be sized to match the wire gauge.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
if you are running from an existing plug then run the new wire using the same gauge. The breaker will be sized to match the wire gauge.
Thanks again Bob