Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

installing new closet light

I ran a black, white and ground to new ceiling box from a powered box in the attic to a new ceiling fixture with same colored wireing.Then a I ran a black , white and ground fom the new swtich to the new ceiling light. Black to black, white to white, ground to ground. When I touch the black power to the attic box it blows a circuit?

jeff7323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

What do you mean you ran a black, white, and ground? Individual conductors contained within a conduit or a cable?

If you ran black white and ground from a box in the attic to a new fixture box, then ran a black white and ground from that ceiling box to a switch, spliced the wires color to color all the way thru, then put the black and white to the switch, you have a direct short hot to neutral.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

if i understand you correctly you created a direct short in the way sound wired the cable going to the switch.

The white cable to the switch gets reidentified as hot by putting black tape on it. it gets tied to the black coming from the attic box not the white bundle.

The black wire coming from the switch gets tied to the black wire at the fixture (remove that from the black bundle).

Tie the white from the fixture to the white coming from the attic box.

At the switch, again color the white wire with black tape and connect the black and white to the switch..

Connect all grounds.

Note that under the 2011 US NEC Code switch boxes generally require a neutral (so you would run a cable with black, white and red and use the red in place of the taped white. in this case, you would connect white to white, black to black and red to the black fixture wire. at the switch, connect the red and black to the switch and cap the neutral with a wire nut by itself. that neutral might be needed in the future if you put in a fancy switch like a motions sensor or timer)

Last edited by kevinp22; 05-21-2012 at 03:04 PM.
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #4

I am using Romex 12/2 w/ground for the wiring.
I'll try to post some pictures of what I am doing.
a) romex from existing power in attic to new light fixture wires.
b) romex from switch to new light.
* when I hook up the black wire to blacck wire in existing ceiling box the circuit trips.
Guess not. Won't accept jpegs ove 100 kb.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

What kind of light do you plan on installing in this closet? What is the nature of the closet? Utility? Clothes? Linen? There are codes restricting what type of fixtures can be installed in closets depending on the usage of the closet.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #6

It's a clothes closet and the box states it meets code for that purpose.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Licensed Electrician

Good. Now go back and read Kevin's post above. He tells you how to do it correctly.

You will not need a neutral at the switch location if (and I assume there is) there is attic above the switch and new light.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
jeff7323 (05-21-2012), kevinp22 (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Pure Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff7323
I am using Romex 12/2 w/ground for the wiring.
I'll try to post some pictures of what I am doing.
a) romex from existing power in attic to new light fixture wires.
b) romex from switch to new light.
* when I hook up the black wire to blacck wire in existing ceiling box the circuit trips.
Guess not. Won't accept jpegs ove 100 kb.
You need to make a switch loop which may not even be legal in your neck of the woods anymore. Try this. Black from power at ceiling fixture to white wire coming from switch. Black from switch to black on your ceiling fixture. White from ceiling fixture to white from your power source.
Dierte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

I will post a simple photo what it should be done with switch loop.

The other thing you will have to be aware there is no bare indentscent bulbs allow in cloth closet but enclosed indenscent bulbs are allowed or use the flourscent or LED that will be more safer this way.

If you are going to have a polit light or lighted switch handle to indentify if the closet luminaire is on then you will have to use XX-3 instead of XX-2 nm cable due the black will be supply power while red is switched so just keep in your mind that will change instead of the photo posted above.

Normally I useally install the luminiare right above the door area due almost nothing will useally get blocked in that area.

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #10

Use one of these and then you can run low voltage wiring to a magnetic switch in the door frame to control the light. Wiring is easier with low voltage and relay is UL listed.

http://www.functionaldevices.com/pdf...s/RIB01BDC.pdf

curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote