Installing A New Circuit To A Room Above The Garage - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing a new circuit to a room above the garage

Our circuit breaker box is located in the outside wall of our house. My room is directly above the garage and the floorspace sits entirely over the garage. I was planning on possibly adding a new circuit (for my reef aquarium setup that I am building) to that room and was wondering what would be the best place to start to figure out how to route the wires up to that room. We do have a very small attic space but it is impractical to traverse because it is almost stuffed entirely with insulation.

Advertisement

ltkenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

It is customary to drill holes in the wall and fish wires through the wall using the holes as "stepping stones". If it is an exterior wall, the thin metal strip (fish tape) used to pull the wires through will simply bust up the insulation along the way. Actually this does not hurt the insulating properties very much after the drilled holes are covered over.

Because of the position of studs, usually you only need one hole near the floor and one hole near the ceiling to fish a wire up the wall, but you may need a hole every 32 inches (in alternate stud bays) to reach a long drill bit in and drill holes in the studs to string the cable through horizontally.

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

For fishing cable through insulation you need something that is not too flexible. The best thing I have found are Fish Sticks similar to these from Greenlee

HF has a low cost version
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote