Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing New 200amp Service Meter Socket/Main Breaker

I am getting ready to change the service on the house from 100amp screw-in fuse to a new 200amp service. I have done everything before except for the wiring from a meter socket to a new main breaker cabinet. I have purchased the approved meter socket that duke allows and wanted to know what size wire I need and can use, the distance from meter to main breaker is approx 5ft. Also when I look at everything online I can only find where they have you use only 2-hots and one neutral. Then ground the meter to the two grounding rods. In all the wire I see there are four wires in the roll, two hots, neutral, and uncoated (ground). Do I need all four and if so, do I put the neutral and uncoated (ground) under same lug in meter socket. I have gotten the required permit for the job.

Thanks

Last edited by rekish; 06-15-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: add picture of meter socket
rekish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,076

Not sure what's allowed in your area, but we use SEU type wire... 4/0 AL.... that contains 2 hots and a concentric neutral... and grounding electrode conductors (wire from ground rods) are not allowed in meters by all power companies, something else you need to find out.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 06-15-2012 at 11:07 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

like stickboy said you have to go by power company requirements and local codes. Some areas have amendments to the code that require certain ways. Like here we are required to run min #4 stranded from main panel to both rods then back to the main panel. My homes original service before the upgrade was done the same way over 40 years ago. I don't have any idea why they require it but that's the way everyone does it and nobody seems to complain about it.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
Like here we are required to run min #4 stranded from main panel to both rods then back to the main panel. .
Are you serious? Is there really a state amendment for that, or is that just what you do? because that is just crazy... That is obviously some knuckle head behind the steering wheel on that one.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Its actually a pretty cool idea (although could be a real PITA). If the any part of the wire gets damaged, you will still have the two ground rods connected.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote