Installing Light Fixtures In Bath - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Installing Light Fixtures in Bath

There is not a mouting bracket to install my new light fixtures! Help me update my old home with some new lighting!

1. Canister lighting in bathroom is just a single light attached to wiring via a L-joint screwed into the drywall. Are there issues putting in pendant lighting? I just want to hang a single pendant but there's no mount for it. Do I need to remove the canister and somehow attach a mount?

Also, the pendant is much smaller than the canister. I think I need to make some repairs to the ceiling for sizing. Maybe I should have waited to paint!

2. Track lighting above vanity. It's just screwed into the wall with wires running to each bulb. Can I install new track lighting? How should it be safely mounted into the wall?

http://img232.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=trouble002.jpg

Advertisement

Last edited by mrsjande; 09-01-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: link to pics
mrsjande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

How wide is the can light? When you buy a fixture you get the hardware required for the fixture. Since you have can light you have no ceiling box. You need a ceiling box. Like the picture below. Pick a light fixture with a canopy that will cover the box, and any remaining visible hole.

Advertisement

Last edited by J. V.; 10-09-2009 at 02:19 PM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #3

The canister is significantly larger than the pendant, which I got from Home Depot. I will look for the correct ceiling box and get a larger canopy to make my life easier. No drywall repairs sounds good!

Where can I find a good selection of hardware? Home Depot is very sad.

Last edited by mrsjande; 09-01-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: question
Old 09-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

If you have the can light over the tub or shower, you can not hang a pendent light in its place!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #5

I can do whatever I want!! But no, it's not over the bathtub. That would be silly.

My hubby thinks we should just leave the canister alone. It is, after all, just a water closet.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjande View Post
I can do whatever I want!!
You could also KILL YOURSELF OR SOMEONE DOING THINGS WRONG. http://sound.westhost.com/articles/electrocution.htm
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Unfortunately your hubby is dead wrong. The can light needs to be entirely removed prior to installation of this light. Covering the can is absolutely illegal and is unsafe. Pretty hard to do this without drywall patching, especially since the can light housing is much larger than the ceiling box. The installation of a proper ceiling box in the drywall is necessary to safely mount the new fixture and to contain the connections.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Unfortunately your hubby is dead wrong. The can light needs to be entirely removed prior to installation of this light.
He thinks I should not ADD a light and we should just have the canister lighting in that room period. Nothing dangerous/not up to code/stupid.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zx View Post
You could also KILL YOURSELF OR SOMEONE DOING THINGS WRONG. http://sound.westhost.com/articles/electrocution.htm
I thought that was why you turned off the breaker when playing with wires? (I'm not out to win any Darwin award.)

This really is too much trouble! I think I'll just keep the ugly canister and work on the track lighting for the vanity instead (Sheesh, boys!)

Advertisement

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 09-03-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: sarcasm is not needed