DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing Light Fixtures in Bath

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mrsjande 
#1 · (Edited)
There is not a mouting bracket to install my new light fixtures! Help me update my old home with some new lighting!

1. Canister lighting in bathroom is just a single light attached to wiring via a L-joint screwed into the drywall. Are there issues putting in pendant lighting? I just want to hang a single pendant but there's no mount for it. Do I need to remove the canister and somehow attach a mount?

Also, the pendant is much smaller than the canister. I think I need to make some repairs to the ceiling for sizing. Maybe I should have waited to paint!

2. Track lighting above vanity. It's just screwed into the wall with wires running to each bulb. Can I install new track lighting? How should it be safely mounted into the wall?

http://img232.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=trouble002.jpg

#2 · (Edited)
How wide is the can light? When you buy a fixture you get the hardware required for the fixture. Since you have can light you have no ceiling box. You need a ceiling box. Like the picture below. Pick a light fixture with a canopy that will cover the box, and any remaining visible hole.

#7 ·
Unfortunately your hubby is dead wrong. The can light needs to be entirely removed prior to installation of this light. Covering the can is absolutely illegal and is unsafe. Pretty hard to do this without drywall patching, especially since the can light housing is much larger than the ceiling box. The installation of a proper ceiling box in the drywall is necessary to safely mount the new fixture and to contain the connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.