Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

Share |

installing light fixture in old box

So I just got done installing a new,simple light fixture into the ceiling. I go to turn it on, nothing happens, change the bulb, still nothing. The box is old, round, shallow with confusing wires. On one side you get white and black, on the other side is white. All are copper from what I can tell. They are thick and stiff but I was able to secure them to the new wires from the new fixture using those plastic screw on deals. I will say a bit of copper overhang was exposed outside of the screw on deals.I attached black to black, white to white, then the green ground I attached to the white on the other side of the box. I assumed this was the ground. I did not use the included brace because it was too crowded with all those thick damn wires in this tiny shallow circle, and I didn't see any use for it except as a brace which I didn't need, the mounting screws alone were just fine. Is that what messed it up? I'm an amateur (obviously) but I had installed a fixture in this same spot a few years ago with no problem. I know you are thinking I better quit before I set the damn house on fire....

Last edited by annie68164; 09-03-2011 at 06:00 PM.
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie68164 View Post
So I just got done installing a new,simple light fixture into the ceiling. I go to turn it on, nothing happens, change the bulb, still nothing. The box is old, round, shallow with confusing wires. On one side you get white and black, on the other side is white. All are copper from what I can tell. They are thick and stiff but I was able to secure them to the new wires from the new fixture using those plastic screw on deals. I will say a bit of copper overhang was exposed outside of the screw on deals.I attached black to black, white to white, then the green ground I attached to the white on the other side of the box. I assumed this was the ground. I did not use the included brace because it was too crowded with all those thick damn wires in this tiny shallow circle, and I didn't see any use for it except as a brace which I didn't need, the mounting screws alone were just fine. Is that what messed it up? I'm an amateur (obviously) but I had installed a fixture in this same spot a few years ago with no problem. I know you are thinking I better quit before I set the damn house on fire....
You'll have to describe what wires are in the box a little better. A picture would be best. to have 1 black and 2 whites doesn't make sense.

CheapCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

There were only 3 conductors entering that box? Do you have knob-and-tube type wiring?

I'd be willing to bet that your wiring is not grounded, and that lone white wire needs to be connected elsewhere for it to work ....

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #4

I will try to post a pic. Basically it's like white and black wires on left side of box, white wire alone on right side. All are identical thickness. Also a new discovery is that the ceiling light won't come on the adjoining bedroom now. checked the circuit breakers and nothing is tripped so I must have fried something????
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

I am going to state that a new fixture probably should not be installed there. Most ceiling mounted fixtures have a warning to only use with 90 degree rated conductors. Your old conductors are not even close to 90 degree rated.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Connect both white wires together, and restore power. Betcha the light in the other room starts working again.....

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote